Mt. Hood over Thanksgiving

mhux

Me and a friend are looking to climb Mt. Hood next weekend. I've taken a mountaineering/avy 1 course, and both of us have sport and multi-pitch climbing experience, but have never climbed a 'technical' mountain before. We're planning on the standard south side route, and might check out a few other routes depending on conditions/how we feel. I know the usual season is in spring, but can anyone tell me anything about climbing in late November? Also, besides the south-side, what other routes are good for beginners?

Thanks!

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Check the weather, if it is not clear the day before, day of and for the next day or so after you plan climb then visit the lodge and drink some hot chocolate.

Basically, the weather this time of year can turn to shit quick. Thus with out knowledge of the hill and experience you could easily become a statistic. If you get a good weather window just stick to the south side.

Last Thursday we spent 9 hours post holing up to Illumination Rock only to find tons of powder and zero ice, the only part of the climb that was some what enjoyable was the sunrise. If you want a learning experience then go for it if you have a weather window, just don't expect to summit. Oh and bring skis, board, sleigh, husky team...