Small but good digital Camera

Cpt.Caveman

I was one of those purists that held out to the bitter end with my 35mm. The old story... It just seemed like cheating to go digital. Then I blew it when and went all out for the Canon Rebel XT in 2005. Now that 8 mega-pixel super-camera is outdated!!!

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Canon A720 was on sale last Nov for $223 including tax.

8mp, 6X optical zoom, 2 AA, lcd and viewfinder so I can turn the lcd off, light, compact.

Takes a 2G SDA and I think even a 4G.

Shoots great movies too.

Now it's $179 :cool:

I was one of those purists that held out to the bitter end with my 35mm. The old story... It just seemed like cheating to go digital. Then I blew it when and went all out for the Canon Rebel XT in 2005. Now that 8 mega-pixel super-camera is outdated!!!

I did the same thing, only waited a little longer, then got a cheaper camera. i got one of the kodak easy shares. 8mp, 8x zoom. great and light.

I waited forever before giving up my canon rebel xs film. mostly, i think, because with the 75-300mm lens on it, it looked bad!! film just got too expensive for me, with no guarantees on quality of the picture.To shoot a whole roll of film, and get 1 or 2 good pictures got old. I went to south sister a couple years ago and shot 2 rolls. Didnt realize till the end of roll 2 i had the settings wrong, and the pics turned out dark, and not enough info on them to fix in ps.

so, now i cheat and use digital. i take a pic, look at it, delete it if i don't like it and shoot again!

Who could have seen 10-12 Megapixel cameras with typically 3x optical zooms selling in the @$200 range 5 years later? I think I payed $600 for my Olympus 3.3 Megapixel 3X zoom, same exact camera with a 4mp 3X zoom was going for $299 a few years later. It's a dinosaur now.

and check out Jon's comment about the exchange rate with Canada... :cry:

Canon G7: 10MP and 6x optical zoom.

I've had my G7 for over a year and love it! It's constructed very solidly.

Some reviews comment about short battery life, but I've never experienced that. Another downside may be weight (it's relatively heavy), but great image quality is definitely worth a few extra ounces.

I went for this one: Olympus Stylus 1030 SW

...weatherproof, shockproof, lightweight 10.1 megapixel point-and-shoot. The only downside I've seen so far is the LCD-only viewfinder, so I got an extra battery. Used to have a weatherproof Pentax Optio - but that one didn't withstand abuse very well. We'll see how this one's 'shockproof' housing works...