Blackout in a can

KaskadskyjKozak

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's probably what got her elected the first time. Every time after that because there wasn't a better choice. Bottom line, the story was about caffeinated alcoholic drinks being banned by the Federal gumint, not the state. Whatever, I'm sure the libruls wil find something else to tax in order to replace that lost revenue, right?

You're still missing the point, which is this: 18 years old & up can still buy and inhale a perfectly legal product almost anywhere in America--a product that causes far more death and heartache than this nanny-state flavor of the week, 4-Loco. So why doesn't the govt ban cigarettes? (I'm not saying they should or shouldn't.)

It's probably what got her elected the first time. Every time after that because there wasn't a better choice. Bottom line, the story was about caffeinated alcoholic drinks being banned by the Federal gumint, not the state. Whatever, I'm sure the libruls wil find something else to tax in order to replace that lost revenue, right?

You're still missing the point, which is this: 18 years old & up can still buy and inhale a perfectly legal product almost anywhere in America--a product that causes far more death and heartache than this nanny-state flavor of the week, 4-Loco. So why doesn't the govt ban cigarettes? (I'm not saying they should or shouldn't.)

I get the point. Yup Washington's (and several other states) shakedown of Big Tobacco (led by AG Gregoire) did bolster the state coffers for a bit, but certainly didn't hurt big tobacco much. Smoking is down, but obviously a person can still buy it.

However, again my point is that the feds are proposing a ban on 4-loco. Yes Washington led the charge based on the Roslyn CWU incident, but it is the Feds (FDA) where Gregoire (to the best of my knowledge) has no authority.

Just another over-reaction by government. maybe the new republican congress will set the FDA straight on personal liberty, eh?

Here is the conclusion from a research paper (couldn't get the whole copy):

Caffeinated cocktails: energy drink consumption, high-risk drinking, and alcohol-related consequences among college students.

O'Brien MC, McCoy TP, Rhodes SD, Wagoner A, Wolfson M.

"Almost one-quarter of college student current drinkers reported mixing alcohol with energy drinks. These students are at increased risk for alcohol-related consequences, even after adjusting for the amount of alcohol consumed. Further research is necessary to understand this association and to develop targeted interventions to reduce risk"

Heres another:

A survey of energy drink consumption patterns among college students.

Malinauskas BM, Aeby VG, Overton RF, Carpenter-Aeby T, Barber-Heidal K.

"Using energy drinks is a popular practice among college students for a variety of situations. Although for the majority of situations assessed, users consumed one energy drink with a reported frequency of 1 - 4 days per month, many users consumed three or more when combining with alcohol while partying. Further, side effects from consuming energy drinks are fairly common, and a significant dose effect was found with jolt and crash episodes. Future research should identify if college students recognize the amounts of caffeine that are present in the wide variety of caffeine-containing products that they are consuming, the amounts of caffeine that they are consuming in various situations, and the physical side effects associated with caffeine consumption"

Here is a case study:

Cardiac arrest in a young man following excess consumption of caffeinated "energy drinks".

Berger AJ, Alford K.

Abstract

"An otherwise healthy 28-year-old man had a cardiac arrest after a day of motocross racing. He had consumed excessive amounts of a caffeinated "energy drink" throughout the day. We postulate that a combination of excessive ingestion of caffeine- and taurine-containing energy drinks and strenuous physical activity can produce myocardial ischaemia by inducing coronary vasospasm"

It seems like the jury is still out on the effects of mixed alcohol-caffeine consumption. There are other research articles that find positive aspects of energy drink consumption (mental acuity, sports performance, ect). However, the dosages used are usually far less than that contained in energy drinks. Also, In order to get the best effects you need to not be a habitual user. Most people I know who drink this stuff are also consuming huge quantities of coffee, monster, and red bull every day. Personally I think the issue with 4 loco is that it comes in a 23.5 ounce can which contains: 12% alcohol, 60g sugar and an undisclosed amount of caffeine (somewhere around 200-400mg), taurine, and guarana.

Personally, if you want to hop yourself up on that shit, go for it. But the effects of this stuff seem to be far greater than just their individual parts. This class of substance isn't well understood. maybe we should be a little cautious, just saying.