Farside or Dropzone

kevbone

Day 3 in a row at Beacon, where you guys been? Sure the last 2 have been aid climbing in the mist but nothing wrong with that, righteous fun! Jim was out there today braving the weather with us and he told me that the main name of the crag is The Far Side but the part of the area where the garbage used to get thrown off the top is called The Drop Zone. That seemed to make sense to me, but I don't know Jack S.

Also, that rope just hanging there on Pipeline was to tempting, so I had to jug it in the rain for a workout after we aided Free For Some. If its your rope Ivan, thank you sir.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about the fact there is already a Farside in WA that pre-dates DZ/FS? Seems a little crazy to have two crags named the same in the same state which would then need to be annotated Farside North or Farside South. And that sort of annotation is usually reserved for different cliffs at the same crag. Pretty confusing when you start talking about NW or WA state guides or lists.

:lmao::lmao::lmao:

kevin and joseph on the same page, king kong and mighty joe young. i have officially seen it all. you guy should have a ledge party hosting democrats and republicans :lmao::lmao::lmao:

kevin and joseph, U COMPLETE ME :()

Had a bad case of flu for the past two weeks with likely a week to go before I can get out again.

Steve, the main face, and every face, at DZ was always called DZ - there was no point at which DZ or any face was called FS at all until some folks decided the name needed to change for what reason I still haven't heard.

Clearly this will not be decided here on cc.com. This was a troll boys....plain and simple and you all have been pwned. Tim's book has a deadline coming VERY SOON. A name will have to be decided on. Not really sure how or who will make the call. I suppose either way is fine with me. Personally, I will never call it or refer to it as Farside. It will always be The Drop Zone.

Ironically, the first time I ever heard of DZ was standing at the base of the Ozone. Jim looked at me and said "have you checked out the Drop Zone yet".....its the hush hush crag about 500 feet east of here"? This was in early 2007. For the next year and a half he referred to it as The Drop Zone to me and everyone around us. Sometime in late 2008 he started calling it Farside. This was about the time when a new wave of developers and climbers started going there more often. Some of the new developers only heard it called Farside. So I can see how calling it by its original name would be hard for them.

To me having an Ozone and a Drop Zone next to each other makes sense. It sounds right. To me.

Is there a compromise that can be reached?

Clearly this will not be decided here on cc.com. This was a troll boys....plain and simple and you all have been pwned.

"Oh, no! pray don't take me. I'm too little, that I am," said the billy goat. "Wait a bit till the second Billy Goat Gruff comes. He's much bigger."

i'll piss in the wind myself here:

bill is way too smart not to know that of ALL the people he and jim "consulted" about a name for this crag, NONE of those people included those of us ALREADY putting up routes at what we had been calling "the drop zone."

those climbers would be mark d, jon stewart, myself, arent wortel, ryan sund, kevin evansen, jason fricke and others. not to mention kevin rauch, who we were keeping posted on our developing, and one day carried down the trail to see for himself.

in other words, we were all putting up routes and saying "let's go work on routes at the drop zone!" because that's what it was called. so that's the drop zone tribe.

THEN bill and jim showed up with an entirely different tribe, never asked the 6 to 8 of us what we called the place, and just started to call it "the far side." they brought lawn chairs, excavated terraces for belaying, and added dozens of routes very quickly. more power to them, we were glad to see the place get developed further.

not giving 2 shits, we let it go at that and just kept calling it the drop zone.

the reality is that the later tribe is the majority, and olson's guide will call it the far side because as we know the majority rules.

this little story of mine and ours will be as lost as any other native american history that gets written over by anglos with more power drills and numbers. if mark or stewart or arent or ryan cared as much as bill and jim maybe things would be different.

but that's OK - dramatic analogy aside - this is just rock climbing.

bill is way too smart not to know that of ALL the people he and jim "consulted" about a name for this crag, NONE of those people included those of us ALREADY putting up routes at what we had been calling "the drop zone."

Smart? HAH! I am nowhere near that smart! Brian, I really have no idea who Jim discussed this with or didn't mention it too (although I'm reading of some right now:-) :lmao: . He's on the phone all day and I'm at work, and I'm totally clueless who he talks too - when, why or what about. Sometimes I might hear something later, sometimes I don't hear jack or shit, and generally I don't cause it's not my place to dog a buddy around and listen in on his calls. I suspect that he talked it over with a lot more folks than I ever communicate with at anytime. I didn't not "consult" a single person about any name change about this spot - ever, zero, zilch, never, nada - that I know about but I do drink heavily on occasion so it's not definitive of course. It wasn't my trip at all, I was along for the ride and got to hang my head out the car window as we cruised the strip much like Ginger up there in Ivans cartoon. Kind of like the Cathedral/Coethedral thing. People just run off and start doing what they do. I came a bit late to that party too and I still catch myself calling it CAthedral like Ben and I named it, cause it's locked in my brain even though I do like the 2nd version as it's more distinctive and separates it from half a zillion other climbing locations already named CAthedral. So you'll be calling this spot Drop Zone for ever, and it will forever mark you as one who came first, a pioneer. That's the way it is and there ain't nothing wrong with it at all.

The only cliff I've ever been guilty of renaming I can't get everyone on board with my new name and I won't even say what that name (old or new) is on here. But it's not been mentioned yet. Be aware that I had zero to do with any name change at The Farside except to nod my head a few times (first side to side and later up and down) when I was asked. Even now, I really don't care except as far as supporting Jim, but like you say - it's just climbing.

this little story of mine and ours will be as lost as any other native american history that gets written over by anglos with more power drills and numbers.

I was overly cautious in restricting my bolting and drilling as you know, but I accepted it because I was asked nicely. The name and the vision was Jim's. Again, having this discussion online is not productive if you guys all really think the name should be trash pit, garbage zone, Ivan's Bone Zone (my fav), Drop Zone, Far Side or whatever: I ain't the guy and this ain't the venue to get anything done but yowling to the moon. That You, Kevin and JH are all yowling in harmony is probably a first and certainly worth watching in fun and interest. Yet I suspect that there is much more who would yowl the other way as well but are too smart to be posting here about it.

As a interesting note: was there last Saturday, and near the base of the wide crack you and Tyler started and Tyler and Arent finished, there is a brand new hella massive boulder smack dab in the middle of the trail.

regards to all my brothers: :wave:

bill, thanks for understanding where i was coming from, and for clarifying your memory of how the "naming" went down.

at the end of the day, it's become a nice little crag that is quieter than ozone and also sports a handful of gems for those who can climb 10a on occasionally techy gear.

i'm glad the second wave hit the crag and started developing because between kids, death and people moving away i bet there'd be less than 20 routes still to this day.

i hope somebody besides the 6 or 7 posters here actually drive past ozone one day and check the crag out. it sure could use the traffic...

"drop zone aka da farside" works just fine, and amusingly increases the palpable sense of the absurd, having 2 names for so tiny a crag

thanks to ya'll who did work out there though - i enjoy it the 1 or 2 times a year i stop by.

Edited by ivan

i hope somebody besides the 6 or 7 posters here actually drive past ozone one day and check the crag out. it sure could use the traffic...

Ozone is soooo much better I can't think of a single reason why anyone would bother.

spoken like a true JERK OFF :) i'm trolling no i'm serious no i'm trolling no i'm seroius :lmao::lmao::lmao:

If its extra traffic the cliff needs to keep the moss down, then why not name it something like "The Girl with the Golden Nipples Crag" or some such?

They would come from far and wide, and I bet Jim would have a hard time saying no to that!

One vote from me for Nipples! :grin:

it's going down as "the far side" in olson's guide and that settles it for everyone except kevbone and whoever replies to him.

and i know joe just wants it to stay quiet, but except for my routes that have bolts and a few of the best lines, it was looking pretty mossed over last time i was there (early summer)

i can only imagine what a winter of neglect will do.

i hear you ivan, but every single route at drop zone requires trad gear. and some of the gear is consistently thin or interesting. it's not like beacon where there are 5.7 and 5.8 well protected trad moderates. but i hope the traffic picks up at least a little bit....

http://www.mountainproject.com/v/washington/farside/106862529

maybe this will help with that...

and i know joe just wants it to stay quiet, but except for my routes that have bolts and a few of the best lines, it was looking pretty mossed over last time i was there (early summer)

i can only imagine what a winter of neglect will do.

I've never had any problem sprucing up the lines I like every season. One quick go and they're done for the season. Also, I get it that the social frenzy of development is great fun, but when that expands to every millimeter and twenty foot line you have realize that not every archeological dig is going to yield treasure. Sometimes the treasure is in the camaraderie of the digging, not in what's found. Divide the results into 'classics' and 'stuff-we-dug-out' and way less than half are going to be classics, some will get climbed occasionally, and the rest will be reclaimed by the moss and that will be the case no matter how much 'traffic' happens. No 'traffic' of any kind is required to keep routes worth climbing open.

I find it a bit remarkable no one wants to deal with the two WA Farsides issue, not really a useful situation and feels a whole lot more like denial than common sense. They've already qualified this one:

http://www.mountainproject.com/v/washington/exit_38_far_side/105797433

How will the southern one be eventually qualified, 'Ozone / Farside'?

i have a few friends named andrew and their wives drive over to my house and accidentally crawl in bed with me quite often :rolleyes: isn't there like a buck peak, table mountain and a castle rock like in every frickin state.

i think this thread could use a good douche :wave: