Same size ice axes??

Mr MeeAhGee

I'm looking to buy my first set of tools for easy to moderate mountaineering. Some steep snow and ice. I'm thinking about two BD Venoms hammer and adze. Any recommendations or info on different size tools? Was thinking 57cm for adze and 50cm for hammer. I'm concerned about the feel of the swing and length for walking.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally something I am proficient in. No but really, for easy to moderate mountaineering you don't need two axes. But if you really want them (and depending on your height- I'm really tall so having 54/57/50 are pretty much impractical for anything 50 degrees and below because I have to bent over to use them as designed )- I'd go for pretty long tools- say 57, like you said. And a 50 backup or second tool sounds reasonable. As you know, this will allow you to (theoretically) use one tool as a standard moutnaineering ax and the second for steep stuff. I had two camp tools that were 54 or 57 that were comprable to the venoms and I really enjoyed them.

It may seem strange at first but you will adjust and not notice it much. My fave tool setup a long time ago was a straight shaft grivel 55cm with a bent grip grivel 50cm. Thought I was so rad alpine like (Kitty Calhoun was swinging that way) but I was just dreaming. Did some good ice climbs and mountain ice routes with that setup though.

I think your setup is a very good one, especially for something like n ridge baker. What routes were you thinking about using these tools for?

Edited by genepires

I use a combination of Petzl Sum tech and a cobra for a second tool. You really do need a mountain axe. You need to be able to plunge a shaft and build quick anchors using your ice axe. As a second too use an ice tool. Be careful not to get too long of a mountain axe. An ice axe is not a walking stick. If you buy at a lenght that allows you to use it for that it will be very limited when you try to use it for climbing. Take a look at the Sum Tech or the givel air tech evo with the thumb slider.