Grivel Matrix/Quantum Tech

Autoxfil

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have Matrix Lights and absolutely love them. Equipped em' with some sliders for both snow climbing and leashless ice/mixed. Great all a rounder. The only downfall I see of these tools is the laughable little hammer. One has to carefully monitor the hammer tool while on a pack with standard style Ice tool loops as the hammer is so small it can actually slip out and drop (had it happen once but knew to watch for this problem so I caught it.)

Also the picks are definitely not easily changed at home without a few tools and certainly could not be changed on route.

Otherwise the Matrix lights climb great so I would imagine the Techs to climb even better.

I've had the Matrix Tech since last fall and like them a lot. The geometry is perfect for my swing; they were a natural fit right away. The picks could be more user friendly to change, but I like their lines and they are tough. Even without an upper trigger I can choke up for a move or two without wishing for more. I'm no guru, but any specific questions? Hope this is of use for you.

FWIW I see more of them out around here than any other tools, and everyone I know that has them loves them. I went climbing last weekend with a guy who sold his new vipers for the Matrix Techs. The winner of the Alaska Ice Fest comp last year was using Quantum Tech, which he reportedly sold his Nomics for. I've swung them both in the shop. I own (new-style) Cobras, but if I were doing it over again I'd probably buy the Quantum techs.

Good to hear! I picked up a pair and hope to get them on ice this weekend.

They are stupid light, and have a higher percentage of weight in the head than anything I've used before. The grips aren't Nomic aggressive and I'm sure they won't climb overhanging mixed the same, but I sure won't be doing that anyway.

Not to be ridiculous but....I've got the answers to THE BURNING QUESTION with the Matrix and Quantum tools.

Q Can I remove the accordeon on the shaft?

A Yes, a little grunting and it slides down. Surprisingly, according to my local postmaster and her very accurate postal scale each accordeon weighs a whopping 0.7 ounces (20 grams). As to why Grivel did these I have no idea, seems to serve little function, but those Italians are stylish, so that's my answer. BTW the head looks like this:

Matrix_Head.jpg

Edited by Coldfinger

• 7 months later...

The other things the accordion does is damp vibrations and also protects the top of the shaft from missed swing impacts - the hammer is especially easy to miss. Apparently it is a common problem with Nomics, eventually the shaft splits at the top from combination of impacts and stress. Agree it looks a bit ugly though...

Ha, ha ;-)

I might buy it protects the shaft but "dampen the vibration". Not so much.

Nomics? I've seen Nomics worn out and the head loose from not using a hammer on the aluminum head to hammer with. And I've seen Nomic heads really pounded out. Petzl uses glue and one rivet to attach the head. No doubt it could happen but never seen a cracked shaft.

DSC03818.JPG

• 3 months later...

Wanted to add my 2 cents. I have the quantum techs and love them for water ice. They are light, the picks get great purchase and they look rad.

I only wish they had a more substantial spike, but hey, people do big faces with Nomics, and the spike is comprable. Quarks just plunge a lot better.