Ski instruction books

Autoxfil

I do extremely well reading books on technique and applying it in the field. John Long, Will Gadd, and Craig Leubben have done wonders for my climbing.

I suck at skiing, but I'm fit and have decent resort and BC setups, time, and dedication, so it's gonna happen this year. What books should I pick up and study while I wait a month or so for snow to blanket the Northeast? I need general advice on technique for every kind of terrain, on and off piste. No tele stuff, and I don't need gear advice - it's the Indian, not the arrow. I don't mind picking up 2 or 3 books, dissenting opinions are usually good and I have time to read.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Check out "Ski the Whole Mountain" by Eric and Rob Deslauriers. Their concepts are very modern and simple; they describe an approach to skiing all terrain and conditions taking maximum advantage of today's fat, shaped skis. The photos are excellent as well. It's an interesting alternative to PSIA-based pedagogy, which still breaks movements down the way they did before skis became bigger and shaped.

I second "ski the whole mountain". If you can afford it, maybe a couple of private lessons would have value. The instructors could spot technique flaws and give you exercises to work on. I would want to make sure my money was spent on a good one, not sure how to research that though. Are you getting a pass? Nothing beats days on the hill.

I really like Backcountry skiing: skills for ski touring and ski mountaineering, by Martin Volken. If you like the mountaineers books, this one is excellent.

Note: This book has little instruction on the mechanics of ski technique. Plenty of tips and tricks for making ski touring more pleasurable, but it won't help you turn in powder.

All Mountain Skier & Ultimate Skiing might be more what you are looking for.

I really like Backcountry skiing: skills for ski touring and ski mountaineering, by Martin Volken. If you like the mountaineers books, this one is excellent.

Note: This book has little instruction on the mechanics of ski technique. Plenty of tips and tricks for making ski touring more pleasurable, but it won't help you turn in powder.

All Mountain Skier & Ultimate Skiing might be more what you are looking for.

You are right Hugh. I jumped to recommend that book a little to fast before I realized what he was seeking... After or while you dial your technique it's a great read!