Winter Olympics

David_Parker

So I admit, I'm a winter Olympics Junkie and I just wanted to see if anyone else is enjoying watching them on TV. I have thoroughly enjoyed watching the men's downhill, the ski jumping and watching Bode Miller do what he does best....go balls to the wall and pulling it off! I mean really, who else can actually fall going 65 mph and recover to finish a downhill, blow a first run slalom run, still be in 5th and then totally smoke the field in the second run to pull off a silver. That was fuckin' spectacular to watch and full of drama better than could be scripted! Also, I think this 20 year old Swiss kid coming out of nowhere to win 2 golds in the jumping was awesome. I'm also impressed with the short track speed skating, especially the way they run the relay. Is that cool or what! I guess I just like watching the best athletes in the world do sports I have done at the highest level. (I have ski raced, ski jumped and played hockey) It's humbling and inspiring at the same time. On the other hand the figure skating shit bores me to death and they deserve all the controversey and bullshit the reap on themselves. I just feel sorry for the athletes who have spent thousands of hours training, only to be victims of bullshit politics. What can you expect from a sport that involves judging. I guess that's why the snowboarding and freestyle skiing bores me too. I'll take the clock over a judge any day!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hell yeah Dave! That short track relay is sweet. me and my roomies were watching last night going "what the hell is going on here?" "is it ice derby?". That wipe-out looked nasty, smacking the wall at like 30mph, ouch! Seeing Bode just pimping through the bottom of that course was so cool, barely keeping it together, but in 5th you got nothin to lose. He just dialed those tight gates, looked incredibly light on his skis.

And Dave if you used to ski jump, you're one crazy mofo. That stuff makes me cringe. Seeing that footage of the Swiss kid crashing back in Jan was sickening.

quote:

Originally posted by Dwayner:
Say what you will, but the fact remains....Lance Armstrong makes the vast majority of climbers, including ice climbers, look like a bunch of WEENIES!!!
[big Drink][chubit]

I bet we'd see who is weenie when lance layin there bleeding.

As for the ice climbing comment, riding a bike does take some internal self confidence. I dont know how many icicles you have stuck with your tools but my guess is not many since you make that comment. Being humbled by ice is an easy thing to see. It has a lot to do with fitness and also a lot to do with guts sometimes. There is not much glory or money from ice climbing in most experiences I have had. You ahve to want it for yourself not some trophy or money. Also the stakes are high and yes different..

[ 02-14-2002: Message edited by: Cpt.Caveman ]

As far as dedication, amount of training, aerobic fitness, focus, strategy, size of thier filed of competitors, training regiments, .. probably many other measures, the top ten percent of the bike dudes kick ass over the top ten percent of climbers. In fact, I bet you could even throw in absolute strength and the bike guys might not beat the climbers, but theid sure make a strong showing. Now climbers, they sure can talk shit and smoke dope well! grin.gif" border="0

I'd still rather climb, though. Bikes are for wuss's.

Good point, caveman. I'd agree that generally climbers and bikers are motivated by different goals. I think biking is more about winning and competing against others and climbing is more about doing and self-motivating.

The downhiill thing last night was crazy! Those two guys that nearly spilled one right after another blew my mind!

[ 02-14-2002: Message edited by: max ]

I too have been enjoying the skiing, speed skating, and hockey. How can anything that is judged (figure skating, moguls, half-pipe) be called a sport, competition maybe, but not sport. Last night I watched some curling for the first time. What the hell is up with that? confused.gif" border="0 I couldn't for the life of me figure out the rules or strategy or the point of this event. Sliding a huge rock with a handle while two other guys look like teenagers whose mom is pulling into the driveway and they didn't do their chores.

quote:

Originally posted by AlpineK:
Living in Boulder sure made me sick of bikers. Herds of em out on two lane roads riding two abreast in their skin tight, wild lycra tights. And when I would try and pass them in my work truck they would all flip me off.

It's supposed to work the other way around! I always save an old banana peel just for such occasions.

Somehow the Caveman has brought to mind Queen's "Bicycle" and "Fat Bottomed Girls" (boys?) at once... shocked.gif" border="0

Yea, the Olympic coverage has been great, but it's getting worse all the time with all the promos, commercials, and faux controversy coverage crap getting in the way of the actual sports....

web page

But it's better than nothing - at least we get some see some alpine coverage and Bode Miller showing what guts are...

Jim

quote:

Good point, caveman. I'd agree that generally climbers and bikers are motivated by different goals. I think biking is more about winning and competing against others and climbing is more about doing and self-motivating.

To be fair, both sports have their competition modes, and their self-motivation aspects. I get alot more mountain biking time in than climbing, and the riding is 99% solo. I'm only competing against myself, and my last 'best' time. Biking gets the adrenaline and "pucker factor" going just as well as climbing, and you can do it right outside your door, no matter what the weather...

kiss the dirt...

Did anyone else hear about the 200+ lb. Central American in the women's luge competition? I read in the paper she crashed and was knocked out and a couple of people were injured trying to keep the sled from running over her. One guy had the tip of his finger sliced off shocked.gif" border="0 I guess she woke up and staggered off of the track. She's the Eddie The Eagle of women's luge. [laf]

If you're going to compare bike riding with climbing, you need to be more specific. I was having a conversation last night about what sports require the athlete to "dig deep down inside" when they really need to. I don't think bike riding requires that unless you are racing and more specifically racing in the tour de france. Now, then, I agree that those riders are definitely elite athletes and the most fit and do have to dig deep to keep going day after day. However the consequences of quitting are not so severe. Now an alpine climber doing the equivelent of the tour de france, say something like Twight and company doing the Czech direct or Viesturs climbing a 8000m peak without oxygen, those guys were digging way deep. And the consequences were much more severe if they quit.Take the traditional american sports like baseball, basketball and football; they don't hold a candle. If I were to pick a mainstream (professional)sport where an athlete has to dig deep to win and make money, I would put tennis up there. If you lose you're out. Watching someone come back after 2 sets down is digging deep. They play long hard matches that are 100% physical and 100% mental day after day to win.

What impresses me about the olympics is that MOST (not all) of these athletes are doing it for the pure joy of the sport, not money. What I don't like about the olympics is that they are now mixing professionals in with amateurs. The most blatant of these is hockey. I think that came from the situation where the Russians were sending their best players and able to not call them "professionals" even though they were taken care of in other ways by their country. The only way to even the playing field and let Canada and the US send their best was to tap the NHL. I don't think we'll ever be able to see a "miracle on ice" game like in 1980 because of this, which is too bad.

Earnest Hemingway once said: There are only three sports: Mountaineering, auto racing and bullfighting; all the rest are merely games.

Dave,

Yea, I like that Hemingway quote, too.

I agree with you about digging deep. In biking, the only time that happens are in competition, whereas in climbing, it occurs in many situations. Try a mountain bike race sometime, though, to see how hard you push yourself when someone's on your tail, even if it's not a multi-day stage race like Le Tour.

I'd add fussball (soccer) to your list of sports (tennis..) that require digging deep. Running for 90 minutes, mostly sprinting, guts you.

In the Olympics, I'm liking the cross country races for depth. They're realling pushing themselves.. And the course this year was set up by masters - it allows great spectating and alot of action, vs the old courses where the skiers had staggered starts and then disappeared for an hour or more before appearing again at the finish...

Off the subject a bit - but is anyone aware of any good sports taverns that show world class soccer, including the World Cup ?

quote:

Originally posted by bonehead:
Dave,

Off the subject a bit - but is anyone aware of any good sports taverns that show world class soccer, including the World Cup ?

Any bar in Mexico!

BTW, I went to the Sonics game last night. I would have rather stayed home and watched the Olympics!

News Flash: They just awarded the Canadian figure skaters the GOLD!!!!!!!!

[ 02-15-2002: Message edited by: David Parker ]

[ 02-15-2002: Message edited by: David Parker ]

quote:

Originally posted by vegetablebelay:

The Russians get to keep their gold medals so now everyone gets gold. Sounds like the special olympics to me.
[Wazzup]

Controversy is not new to the Olympics. In 1972, the Russians had 2 extra chances after the clock ran out to win the Gold in Basketball. I think they should give Tommy Smith his Gold Medal back from the '68 Olympics. I think the antics and the costumes some of these athletes wear on the podium are worse than him holding a fist in the air!

quote:

Originally posted by David Parker:

Controversy is not new to the Olympics. In 1972, the Russians had 2 extra chances after the clock ran out to win the Gold in Basketball. I think they should give Tommy Smith his Gold Medal back from the '68 Olympics. I think the antics and the costumes some of these athletes wear on the podium are worse than him holding a fist in the air!

Could happen for Tommy Smith. The precedent was set when Jim Thorpe's medals were returned to his family at the L.A. Olympics in the 80s. Granted it was 50? years later and he was no longer around.

Everyone's got an oppinion on what's a sport or what isn't. I'm glad I don't have to pick.

Americans aren't into curling, but they love it up in the great white north and other places. It looks like a fun to me, but I like horse shoes too, not that horse shoes should be an Olympic sport.

Remember it isn't a competition of US sports.

I've been watching some ice dancing myself. Why not? the chicks are hot hot hot and the outfits the dudes wear are so off-the-wall ridiculous they are hilarious! [laf] Its just funny that someone puts that get-up on and then take themselves seriously. But I have to agree why is it an OLYMPIC sport? And seriosly, telemark racing shoud be added to the games.