[TR] Shrooooommm Central, Myaaaannn - Chiwakum Creek, DOOOOD 11/9/2010

tvashtarkatena

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice pics.

I have been meaning to familiarize myself with the fungi out here; I was in the Tillamook Forest this past weekend and saw all sorts of new mushrooms that I knew nothing about. I am confident back in the Mid-west, but I won't eat anything besides Morels out this way. Any book recommendations you might have are greatly appreciated.

There is a definitive bible on the subject: Mushrooms Demystified, by David Aurora. It has lots of color plates, but most species don't have images out of shear necessity (there are thousands of species in there). He's authored at least one other, smaller field guide, too.

Good places to start: Morels, king boletes (spring), chanterelles, and hedgehogs (fall) - all easily identified, no close lookalikes. Oyster mushrooms and angel wings are also good bets to start off with.

My method of ID is to find the genus in Aurora, do an image search on it for similar pics if the species isn't obvious, then circle back and verify species in Aurora. I don't eat anything with dangerous lookalikes.

Having said that, only about 2% of all mushroom species are poisonous. But man, that 2%, particularly those with the amanita toxin...OUCH. Am. toxin basically relieves you of a functioning liver...hijinks ensue.

Some friends at work have brought in King Boletes, Chantrelles, and some Matsutake to share. It's been fun, and made me think about learning enough about them to be confident enough to pick them myself. There are more mushrooms out this fall than I've ever seen, as far as I can remember. Must have something to do with the wet spring and fall.

Edited by boadman

One rule of thumb for mushroom picking is to pick only what you know. Picking to identify later is a good way to eat something nasty. Besides the ones already mentioned, black trumpets are quite flavorful and fairly common, especially in Oregon but, in my experience, chanterelles and angel wings are the most common on the west side of the Cascades.

Superb! Thanks!

Got into a good patch of chanterelles one fall on the Oregon coast.

Amidst all the goodies I saw a couple of tall and proud Amanita pantherina - waaay baaaad!

I thought about picking them prophylactically as this was in a

state park right off a trail but I didn't. Went back the next day

to see if more goodies had come up and the pantherina were gone!

I felt bad and scoured the news for the next day or two but

nobody showed up with a rotting liver so I guess some good

samaritan must have picked 'em.

Edited by Reilly

It is probably a russula but it is hard to tell from that angle and we have found a lot of matusaki at undisclosed locations in the last few weeks (and a lot of russula). I usually check the "tap root" for the grey ash like substance and distinctive coloration for positive matsu if but you can also often tell by the shape and color of the cap.

Many people will don't like the big ones because they are tough but for those of us with low standards they are quite tasty

My fiance doing some matsu Identification last year:

some fall 2009 trips-49