Mountaineering, Mt Hood?

RS2

I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction for finding people to climb mt hood with me. The catch is that I have never done any type of snow or glacier travel. I have a pretty good background in rock climbing, placing gear, multi-pitch climbing but want to get involved with traditional mountaineering. If anyone has an idea of where to start or if anyone want to take me along on a trip please pm me. I am a fit college student and should be able to keep up at high altitudes! Thank you, my name is Reese.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Assuming you're in the Portland area check out the Mazamas. Up here in Washington theres the Mountaineers. If you're in college check with your recreation department. They often have outdoor programs that lead trips.

Mazamas

Some people don't like the club mentality but it was a great way for me to meet people and get introduced to mountaineering when I moved to Wasington.

Read Freedom of the Hills

Freedom of the Hills

Being a fit active college student is really only going to help you on the physcical conditioning aspect of mountaineering. There's a lot of technical skills and decision making that can only be learned through experience and is often more important than fitness.

I would NOT recommend getting involved with the Mazamas or any of those other groups around here. The sketchiest shit I have seen on the volcanoes has been, without a doubt, done by the Mazamas.

If you like jugging fixed lines up 4th class terrain I would highly suggest their Mt. Washington group climb. They do it nearly every weekend all summer long. Or you could run across the street and jug 3FJ with them.

• 2 months later...
I would NOT recommend getting involved with the Mazamas or any of those other groups around here. The sketchiest shit I have seen on the volcanoes has been, without a doubt, done by the Mazamas.

If you like jugging fixed lines up 4th class terrain I would highly suggest their Mt. Washington group climb. They do it nearly every weekend all summer long. Or you could run across the street and jug 3FJ with them.

sketchy how? everything i've heard about mazamas has been good, and that their safety record is really good. i'm even about to join..