Smith Rock Rescue Saturday

sean_beanntan

Two men have been rescued from the Red Wall climbing area of Smith Rock State Park.

KTVZ-TV reports 24-year-old Ian Wallace Carlsen of Puyallup, Wash., called 9-1-1 at about 6:45 p.m. Saturday to report that he and 22-year-old Russell Scott Howard of Gresham were stranded.

Both had been rappelling and had underestimated the amount of rope they needed to descend the wall. Carlsen was stranded about 250 feet from the bottom and Howard was stranded about 200 feet from the bottom.

Deschutes County Sheriff's Office Search and Rescue members climbed to the top of the Red Wall and lowered two mountain rescue members over the edge .

The stranded men were attached to the mountain rescue members and lowered the rest of the way to bottom of the Red Wall. Neither was injured.

-- Associated Press

Link: http://www.oregonlive.com/gresham/index.ssf/2010/11/gresham_man_rescued_smith_rock.html

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i don't understand, i'm assuming they had trad gear?

They probably figured it was cheaper and easier to just call for rescue than it was to leave a couple of their shiny new cams behind.

I'm sure we will soon hear from the media how smart and well prepared these dudes were.

perhaps they climbed a sport route up to the bench at the top of super slab and tried to rap with one rope

thus my: "everyone should have to free-solo the 20 feet down to the lower anchor on super-slab!"

probably more like 10 feet though if you have a 60 m rope

perhaps they climbed a sport route up to the bench at the top of super slab and tried to rap with one rope

well if they were sport climbers shouldn't they have lower themselves :wave:

the bolted climbs left of super slab are ~300 ft long.

I actually have no idea what route they climbed or descended. Just seemed like a possible scenario.

well if they were sport climbers shouldn't they have lower themselves :wave:

the bolted climbs left of super slab are ~300 ft long.

I actually have no idea what route they climbed or descended. Just seemed like a possible scenario.

i didn't know sport climbers knew ow to rap, i thought they just listened to it :)

but its faster to rap.

Just based on my own experience... ANY route at Smith that does not top out on a summit it is quicker to walk off NO MATTER WHAT, than rap! (MY only exception is the cinnimon slab area if it is clear enough to toss ropes down and rap than yes you might beat someone walking off, please though if its busy walk down cocaine gully) Now I know Smith routes are often set up to rap but please PLEASE walk off if you can! SERIOUSLY IF IT IS NOT A SINGLE PITCH SPORT ROUTE PLEASE FIND THE WALK OFF.

Oh and you climb a route with a walk off, and didnt walk off, YOU didnt climb the route! :fahq:

how do you walk off superslab w/o having to pull a silly hard (though short) move up that steeepe step above the rap anchor?

I don't know anyone that walks off Superslab. It's not considered a walk off.

Not true. I have walked off it many times. You climb left down into the gully behind it. then up and off. Maybe a 5.3 move at best. Super easy.