Boys Downhill/Girls Downhill

allison

Every time the Olympics are on I am re-reminded of something annoying: The boys and girls run on 2 different DH courses. The boys get the "Grizzly" this time and the girls get the "Wildflower". WTF? Picabo...wildflower...riiiight.

I have a theory as to why there are 2 courses but I'd like a bonafide real reason from someone who might be able to shed some light.

I also continue to wonder why there is no high-performance ski gear for women, the only thing I can think of is that the manufacturers don't think they'd sell enough of it to make money. Still pisses me off. Men's gear doesn't fit (I'm mostly talking about boots) and women't gear..well, it's mostly just too mediocre. Anyone in the industry care to explain?

And Sprayboys....if you're tempted...move along to the next one. I'm serious!

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ahhhh yeah.all race gear is made for real man skiers you are right....duh, do all females buy only female rock shoes? Actually Picabo is a wimpass that is why the girls veered off on the DHcourse and went down easier terrane. No just kidding and no offense Picabo...reasons for easier courses is like all other sports in this great world that require and apply challenges of that caliber in physical abilities...look at sport climbing competitions and other none repetitios ball sports...why is the Ladies tour de France shorter and less gruelling....because gawdamn people in the high seats made it that way....and only you the female has anything to change about that. wow, I am actually rambling about nonsense right now and need to get back on task...putting off homework on PHat tuesday.... wink.gif" border="0

[ 02-12-2002: Message edited by: Szyjakowski ]

I believe it is because the racers aren't allowed on the course at a certain time period prior to the race. The teams are allowed to send forerunners down the course to check out conditions before the race, but I think thats it. So by having the women race a different course they don't have the advantage of sitting in front of the tv the night before the race analyzing how the conditions are.

quote:

Originally posted by vegetablebelay:
[Allison] congrats on having over 50 posts in two weeks - that's Caveman and Dru numbers!
wink.gif" border="0

Are you the same Allison spray queen of the now-defunct WTA "trail-talk" board?

If so, I think Caveboy and Droo got some serious competition!

Thanks to VB for the helpful and incisive commentary. Really appreciate it.

Now, back to the matter at hand: The preview of the course is a fair point....now if the girls could at least get as steep a course as the boys, and as long a one, we'd be talking!

As far as Glen Plake is concerned, well, that guy is a freak. Flame suit on.

Spray queen? MOI? What ever gave you that idea?

[ 02-13-2002: Message edited by: allison ]

what difference does it make if the XX and XY courses are the same gradient and length if the men and women aren't competing against each other?

should they do away with the 'men's' and 'women's' qualifiers altogether and throw everyone in the same race for the same medals? ... yeah! cut the whole Olympics in half in one go, then we can get back to the good TV (:

quote:

Originally posted by fern:
what difference does it make if the XX and XY courses are the same gradient and length if the men and women aren't competing against each other?

should they do away with the 'men's' and 'women's' qualifiers altogether and throw everyone in the same race for the same medals? ... yeah! cut the whole Olympics in half in one go, then we can get back to the good TV (:

You mean if there was no Olympics they'd have more Simpsons on????

confused.gif" border="0confused.gif" border="0confused.gif" border="0confused.gif" border="0

quote:

Originally posted by allison:
As far as Glen Plake is concerned, well, that guy is a freak. Flame suit on.[ 02-13-2002: Message edited by: allison ]

DUH!! THE DUDE HAS A MOHAWK! Glen Plake flies his freak flag high. But since he's old school bad ass and funny as hell and can ski the shit out of bumps in 215cm women's downhill boards he's an icon. Just trying to say that not all women's ski gear is weak.

Allison, I posed this question to the tour guide when I visited the ski jumps and bobsled/luge runs in January. The women lugers and bobsledders start lower than the men. He replyed that mostly this was due to "tradition." They have just been doing it that way for so long, that they keep it that way. It's probably the same for the downhill. I think years ago there was a bigger difference in abilities between the men and women. Now that difference is not so much and I agree there is a case for them to run the same exact courses. This year is the first year for womens bobsled so maybe in the future when there are more women participating they will both start at the top.

While, the impression is that "the women can't handle the higher speeds", keep in mind that downhill races are often won or lost on the flats. The flats are equally as technical as the knarly turns. It is possible also, that the FIS is concerned with preventing an abundance of crashes. Keep in mind that the Olympics are a little different than the World Cup. Generally, they don't want a knarly course for the Olympics because there are countries that send athletes that would never make it onto the world cup circuit. Remember the ski jumper Eddie the Eagle from Britain? The Grizzly course (I skied it in Jan.) is by far one of the knarliest courses ever run in an Olympics. The start of the Wildflower wasn't that much lower and the course was fast too. It did have some slower sections but like I mentioned, those are tecnical too. Although not readily noticeable on TV, the start to the mens was by far the steepest I have seen and it was pure ice. I skied it and can say if you were at the top standing still and fell over, you wouldn't be able to stop sliding for about 500 vert feet. In Utah, they had no choice other than Snowbasin to put the downhills and meet the minimum specs of a downhill course. It needs to be a certain vertical drop, length, width and time overall. It is likely that the minimum specs (due to tradition) are different for men and women. Also, the IOC prefers a course more like they had in Sarejevo. That is why Bill Johnson won there; he was a great glider. I don't think he was the best downhiller that year.

I really hope that women's ski jumping is an up and coming sport. I see no reason why they can't include them in the Olympics some day.

A couple of thoughts on this subject come to mind. First in the olden days there was the false notion that women just couldn't handle what men can when it comes to sports. Women were given easier courses and such.

In the past sports and competition were primarily seen as a man's realm. We are seeing the remanants of these stereotypes finally giving away but in some cases they are slower to go. Even now there are less women in sports than men and most women view sports differently than men. Men and women's bodies are different but most of the difference in competition is from these past notions of the daintiness of women. We are becoming more and more equal in competitions but people will still enjoy watching women's sports for their gracefulness and beauty and men's for their power.

As for me I will climb with anyone but a hot girl on the sharp end of the rope is much more pleasant to look at than any guy's ass. [Moon]