Wilderness First Responder Course

Matt

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would additionally reccomend checking that other schools will recert you if you trained with another group- I made a mistake of sending in a deposit to a group that has no cooperative recert with the other groups before finding out about this and lost 100 bucks, also, if you intend to use this as a work resource most organizations recogognize only a couple of WFR courses as good enough to qualify- say as a NOLS instructor or as a camp counselor.

WMI's WFR course is excellent, far better than their WFA weekend course. The confidence and peace of mind gained are worth your time. WMI must make a killing on those refresher courses, since there are so many WFR's out there who have to stay current.

-Iain

There are several organizations out there who offer the WFR cert. and recert. To name a few of the larger ones Wilderness Medical Institute (WMI), Wilderness Medical Associates(WMA), Stonehearth Outdoor Learning Opportunities (SOLO) and AAI in Bellingham. Often times organizations and/or schools will offer a WFR course but it is usually conducted through or taught by one of the above named companies. I have personal experience with SOLO and AAI and would highley recommend either program based on your scheduling needs. All of the companies have schedules and prices on the net.

Good luck and enjoy the course

I did the WMA WFR course in Portland a few years ago, it was a great course with good teachers, and a fun group of students. I recommend WMA.

A week after I completed the course a VW bug with 7 people in it was broadsided and rolled by an Isuzu Trooper right in front of me, I and an off-duty EMT took care of things until the paramedics arrived. A week later I got to treat a fractured leg on Louise Falls in the Canadian Rockies. You get alot of confidence out of courses like this, every climber should take one and stay current.

Alex

I was recently walking my dog when we ccame across an man in his 60s on his back with a bag of groseries. I think he had a heart attack. He had peed himself, was having trouble breathing and his pulse was coming and going-- very faint. I waited with him until the paramedics arrived. I don't know if he lived or died.

I took a WFA from WMA, a WFR from SOLO, a WFR recert from WMI, and another WFR recert through a college.

I think SOLO had the best logistics/teachers/etc, but the biggest concern I'd have is the recert-timeline. All the WFR certs are valid for 2 years, but some have a 1 year grace period to recert without having to retake the whole course. SOLO's grace period was only maybe 3 months (it could have changed, that was five or six years ago). Basically, they're all the same as far as curriculum, but another thing that varies is the schedule (this is a long course) and the recognition (i.e. SOLO will recert WMI's and WMA's WFRers, but not some of the other providers etc)

Recerts are effectively a WFA 16hr course and some even allow you to take a WFA to recert if you can't schedule a recert-specific course.

I took WFR back in 93 in Bellingham through the ARC. Kelly Turner was the instructor and now it looks like he runs the show for AAI up there. This was a real first rate program and I would highly recommend it! I recently took MOFA from the Mountaineers and it didn't hold a candle to WFR training. Kelly was very knowledgeable and even trains you in the use of homeopathic rememdies as well. I would personally love to go back up there and take the refresher they offer.

It always sux. I watched a guy die of a heart attack at work a few years ago right in front of me. I immediately called the paramedics since he fell and was bleeding all over his mouth.

First aid training is a plus if you ask me as well. I think the hands on is a lot more difficult for the mind than most people would envision for sure. I dont know how many wounded or dead carcasses I saw when in the military back in Africa..