Outdoor Research insulated jackets

stever

searched around a bit and couldn't find much info...

Does anyone have any experience with OR Fraction or Transcedent insulated jackets?

How does the OR Fraction (synthetic) compare to Patagonia nanopuff hoody or mountain hardwear compressor hoody, for example? Or MontBell Ultralight Thermawrap Parka, Rab?

They all have approx. the same weight of fill.

What about comparable down hoodys similar in warmth to the transcedent?

Maybe these jackets are relatively new, but have heard very little about both.

Edited by Steve Roberts

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The fraction hoody is equivalent to the MHW Compressor Hoody. They use almost the same exact materials and are cut nearly identical. The OR jacket has elastic cuffs where as the Compressor uses elastic and velcro. Pricing and warranty is nearly identical as well. The Nano Puff uses Primaloft One insulation which is a higher quality than the OR or MHW products. The Patagucci retails for about 20% more money.

I have a Transcendent jacket on order but I haven't worn one yet. On paper the Patagonia Down Sweater has a higher fill rate (800 vs. 650) but retails for $70 more than the OR. I've worn the Patagonia Down Sweater but thought it was over priced compared to equivalent products from other manufacturers (such as OR regardless of the fill weight difference).

steve u bum ... its eric msg me on fbook

the OR fraction only has 60g/m primaloft eco ... that aint all that warm ... basically the same as a 200 weight fleece

unless you get 100g/m+ of primaloft1 ... itll be nowhere as near as warm as an 800 fill light down sweater

the OR Transcendent only has 650 fill ... you might as well go primaloft at that point

wait for an Eddie Bauer sale on their First Ascent down jackets ... theyve got 2 store in Victoria ... their First Ascent line is top notch with 800 down fill ... i got my down vest for like $60

this is the thread to read for comparative warmth of garments

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=18950

Edited by bearbreeder

I love my Fraction jacket(s). The older model had a dual zip which is sadly gone. I use then primarily as a belay jacket, especially here in the moist PNW.

Personally I think it's warmer than the Transcendent, mainly because it's not 'sewn through' construction. It's does have the same fill as the Nano hoodie, but the Fraction is eco primaloft. :-p to patagucci! Either way the fraction feels like it has more insulation, not sure why.

I am a former OR employee, but I am not biased. I use whatever gear works best and my outerwear ranges from OR to Arc'teryx and yes even Patagonia who I really do love!

I received the Transcendent down seater. I haven't put it to use but my initial impression is that it is not going to be as warm or warmer than any of the synthetic jackets mentioned, especially those in the 100gr range. I bought a medium so it could be warn as a sweater under layers while the rest of my insulated jackets are sized Large.

I'm not really sure how I feel about the sweater, if I'll actually use it or not. At this point I'm inclined to continue with my MHW Compressor or possible a Pata Nano jacket.

it wont be much warmer than 100 g/m primaloft one .. ie micropuff ...

primaloft one gives a clo of 0.92/oz ... down 650 fill around ~1 / oz ....

if you want a down jacket id recommend the Eddie Bauer First Ascent downlight which you can find on clearence soon ... i got my vest for $60 ... the jacket has ~4 oz of 800 fill

or the montbell alpine downlight which you can likely find on sale ... it also has 4 oz of 800 fill

OR makes some good stuff ... unfortunately for them the times when you could sell ~600 fill jackets at premium prices to customers aint here anymore ... i can buy a 650 fill jacket at superstore for $50 now

EB has changed the game with mass market decent value 800 fill jackets

it wont be much warmer than 100 g/m primaloft one .. ie micropuff ...

primaloft one gives a clo of 0.92/oz ... down 650 fill around ~1 / oz ....

if you want a down jacket id recommend the Eddie Bauer First Ascent downlight which you can find on clearence soon ... i got my vest for $60 ... the jacket has ~4 oz of 800 fill

or the montbell alpine downlight which you can likely find on sale ... it also has 4 oz of 800 fill

OR makes some good stuff ... unfortunately for them the times when you could sell ~600 fill jackets at premium prices to customers aint here anymore ... i can buy a 650 fill jacket at superstore for $50 now

EB has changed the game with mass market decent value 800 fill jackets

I think you're reading my post wrong. I bought a Transcendent sweater simply to try, not because I needed it. I doubt its as warm as a MHW Compressor, which is 60gr of Primaloft Eco. The Transcendent is not even close to the warmth of 100gr of Primaloft One, nor do I think that is the goal.

I'm well aware of FA and what they are making. You've mentioned them several times and how much warmer their products are. While you may be right that may not be the point. I've got a bunch of down jackets, all of which are warmer than the Transcendent Sweater.

Also, I try not to get too wrapped up in the minutia of numbers. Sometimes numbers don't tell the entire story.

It sounds like they are both good jackets, but the Transcedent/down jacket isn't worth the money for the warmth, compared to the primaloft jackets.

I'll look into the First Ascent series this week.

As far as down jackets go, how do you find out how much fill they actually use? First Ascent, for example, doesn't list how much of the actual weight is the down. Where Feathered friends, on theotherhand, lists the actual weight along with the fill weight... this seems like an easy way to compare the down jackets without actually trying them on? I guess I will look into this a bit more now...

http://www.whittakermountaineering.com/

these guys were nice enough to tell me how much down was in the downlight and peak jackets

if yr a yank, they have peak jackets (12+ oz 800 fill down) on sale for 225$ US ...

Mens Peak XV - 365.5 grams

Mens Downlight Swtr - 115 grams

sites like backpacking light will often list the amount of down in the jackets they review ...

check yr mail, u owe me a run up the chief ... lol

I have several EB down pieces...not noticed any down leaks.

I bought my EB First Ascent down hoody for $89 on sale. Retails for $189. The compariable Patagonia hoody is $250 and likely 1/2 the loft. Try finding a Patagonia Hoody on sale this winter.

I was looking at the Patagonia version yesterday. Feathers come through any material in a down insulated garment. You keep the down anyway. Enough feathers at the Patagonia down racks in Seatle to cover up a baby bird.

They both claim 800 fill down.

FWIW..

The Mtn Hardware Compressor Hoody and the Patagonia Micro Puff are very similar in weight/insulation. The Nano puff gear is much lighter than either.

Worth noting at well that the Patagonia gear is Primaloft One...while Mtn Hardware has gone to the less expensive and less effective Primaloft Eco.

I believe the best warmth-to-weight ratio in a light synthetic hoody is the Cocoon Insulated hoody from backpackinglight.com. Clo of 2.5, a smidge under 10oz.

It doesn't really take much down to be as warm as all of these synthetic coats being discussed. Personally, I don't think there is much of a comparison, really good down clothes are always warmer per ounce but don't deal with moisture the same way at all. If you really need something that will put up with getting wet from outside and in, allow you to dry other things under it, and keep working for an indefinite period of time while you sweat under it and get it wet, than you need a synthetic jacket no matter the weight difference.

if your EB leaks just take it back to EB and exchange it ... theyre usually very good about it ...

pattagucci down sweater... 3 oz of 800 fill ...$200 retail

EB FA Downlight ... 3.8 oz of 800 fill...$169 retail ... they were going on clearance for as low as $50 this summer

EMS Ascent Down Sweater ... 4.5 oz of 800 fill ...$169 retail ... they were going on clearance for $109 this summer

Montbell Alpine Light Down ... 4 oz of 800 fill down ...$160 retail

you can usually find the EB and EMS on clearence or sale after xmas for monster discounts

first ascent igniter and serrano synth jackets use primaloft one

backpacking light gear test ...

Patagucci ....

"Although the Patagonia Down Sweater has been around a long time and is very popular, its shell, warmth, features, and value are only average or less compared to similar jackets. Its best attributes are its sizing and fit. This is not a jacket I would take backpacking because it doesn’t have a lot of warmth for its weight. It is a nice jacket for day outings and trips to town in cool weather."

EB FA ...

"The Downlight Sweater has become one of my favorite ultralight down jackets. It’s an excellent balance of light weight, basic features, warmth, and cost. It is sized well for layering under it, and the fleece-lined pockets are appreciated on cold days. Its water and wind resistance are excellent. I can personally do without the pocket zippers to save a little weight, but that feature gets down to personal preference.

Overall, the Downlight Sweater is well designed and sized, it's lofty and warm, and a great value. It’s quite light weight, but not the lightest. It’s an excellent choice when you realize that the lightest jackets with comparable warmth cost about $100 more. I noticed the Downlight Sweater on sale in late 2009 at $139, which is an outstanding value."

EMS Ascent ...

"In my opinion, the EMS Ascent Sector Down Sweater is a sleeper in a very competitive field of three-season down jackets. Its 4.5 ounces (128 g) of down insulation is above average, and its shell fabric is one of the lightest to be found; it's sized well for layering, fits well, is puffy and warm, is fully featured, and is a good value. Overall it achieves a good balance of all these factors, more so than many similar jackets. The measured weight of 12.7 ounces (360 g) is very reasonable considering the jacket’s features."

Edited by bearbreeder