New Nomic Old Nomic

Ice4Life

I was recently informed that with the older nomics, you can purchase the newer picks and the newer hammer and they will fit on the older nomic, giving you the option of having a hammer on your old nomic.

Does anyone know if the part for the newer nomic, the spike on the bottom will fit the older nomic?

How effective do you think that spike will work for alpine? It didn't look to good imo.

Im not saying the nomic is the best alpine axe, or asking if the quark or any other axe is better for alpine, which I know is, I am simply asking about the effectiveness of the nomic spike and if it will fit the old nomic.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The pommel on the new Nomic has three rounded notches, whereas the old Nomic has square-taper ones. Some modification will be needed to make the pommel compatible with the old Nomic, but it looks like it can be done.

As for effectiveness, I haven't spoken to anyone who's climbed on one yet, but the general consensus seems to be that the spike may be useful in certain situations, but given how it's situated it'll be marginal.

I've only played around with them in the store but am curious to hear real-world experiences.

I think one of the primary functions of the spike on the new pommel is to make "quieter" placements in ice, ie. after you sink the pick and weight the tool so the pommel rests against the ice, the bottom of the tool has increased resistance to swinging side-to-side.

David genius. I hadn't even thought of that. Would make sense, looking at it I couldn't believe they would add that for alpine, but the movie made it out to look that way.

Doug, If you can find out from your friend how he did it, that would be greatly appreciated! I have to order the part, none around I can just pick up yet from the stores around me, so knowledge of how to DIY would help.

• 3 weeks later...

"Biggest over all improvement on the new Nomic? New pommel fits bigger hands and thicker gloves much, much better. But it can be bolted right on no fuss, no muss to the older tools if that is something you want to try. The new Pommel offers a tiny bit more support and more coverage and hand protection on the upward curve towards the ice. Maybe the most important improvement is a metal to metal interface where they mate up on the end of the shaft. You won't get every advantage of the size improvements for big hands using the new pommel on the old tools but a good bit of it. Worth buying that piece of kit and trying it on your old tools. It is an option now."

More details on the blog.