New Guy Intro

DreamClimber

Just wanted to say hello to everyone. I've been browsing the forums for a bit and figured about time to join. Also let me say some of your pictures are amazing, damn I want to do what you guys do so bad.

Camping and backpacking has been a great hobby of mine but I want a bit more of a rush so I am trying to turn to mountain climbing. Bit tough when you live in Florida but I get to travel a lot. Anyways I am eighteen and extremely new to it so if anyone has any good websites or sources for me I would appreciate it. How did you all get started? One question that is killing me is how do you set up the ropes on the mountains?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One way to get started is to take a comprehensive course from American Alpine Institute here in the Cascades. The Alpine Mountaineering and Technical Leadership courses 1, 2, and 3 would teach you tons about climbing in a relatively short amount of time.

So what are your plans when you graduate from HS? Or are you already? If so and you are really commited to climbing, pick a place to live near the mtns you enjoy. Pick the flavor of climbing you enjoy and move to where it is conducive.

You can read books but that will only go so far. You need to do it often to get it ingrained. And the information may not make sense without real life experiences to give it meaning. Plus there are things to learn that books can not do, only experience will.

you can't lose with places like washington, california, utah and colorado. as well as many other western US states.

what is keeping you in FL?

Well I graduated class of 2010. Now I am attending a private college here in Florida, lucky for me my parents are picking up the tab ($3,000) per class. So for the next four years I will be tied up in Florida for college because it is an opportunity I can't miss. I used to live up North: Connecticut and New York, and always loved the snow and mountains. When I graduate college I do plan on moving to the North East. Yeah Florida is great for backpacking but the mountains are just calling me. I hope to learn a lot and take trips up to the north every two or three months for a climb.

Well I graduated class of 2010. Now I am attending a private college here in Florida, lucky for me my parents are picking up the tab ($3,000) per class. So for the next four years I will be tied up in Florida for college because it is an opportunity I can't miss. I used to live up North: Connecticut and New York, and always loved the snow and mountains. When I graduate college I do plan on moving to the North East. Yeah Florida is great for backpacking but the mountains are just calling me. I hope to learn a lot and take trips up to the north every two or three months for a climb.

If your parents are footing the bill and you are truely interested in climbing I would think about switching schools. Colorado College (Colorado Springs, Colorado), Whitman College (Walla Walla, Washington), Reed College (Portland, Oregon), and Dartmouth (Newhampshire) all offer outstanding academics as well as great climbing and outdoor recreation opportunities.

Edited by danielpatricksmith

If your parents are footing the bill I would think about switching schools. Colorado College (Colorado Springs, Colorado), Whitman College (Walla Walla, Washington), Reed College (Portland, Oregon), and Darthmouth (Newhampshire) all offer outstanding academics as well as great climbing and outdoor recreation opportunities.

What is the particular lure of the Florida college? What's the 'opportunity'? Sounds like you're an undergrad and any good college would do. That said, you have to be pretty damn disciplined to mix college and climbing - I wasn't and look at the pitiful result. Maybe you're better off in Florida.

Well the college (Stetson) is just a real beautiful historic school and well I never really thought about going out of state. The college really fits me.

Joseph, I looked through your pictures, that is far from a pitiful result. Who is more fulfilled a guy working 9 to 5 with a good paying job, or standing on top of a summit looking down to the world. I choose the mountain. As soon as I can get out of the flatland that is Florida, I am gone. I just want to finish up my degree and was considering moving to WA.

Also thanks for all the interest in my post, I've always looked up to mountain climbers, it must be some feeling..

Dreamy, don't get the wrong impression of me, I've never stood on a summit and have never had the slightest interest in mountaineering. Walking to school in the winters in pre-global warming Chicago for most of my childhood pretty much took the thrill out of snow and ice for me. The only thing I like about ice is the fact you can wail the shit out of it without worrying about the damage, but I've done precious little of that as well. I'm pretty exclusively a rock climber by proclivity and practice. The whole idea of dressing up like the pillsbury doughboy and slogging up and down a peak and never getting to anything to climb is just more than I can bear.

Finish school and then head out - it's what most of us did as there aren't a lot of native NW folk around. In fact, I'm pretty sure 50% of the population is from Michigan.

Find a mentor to climb with consistently. BTW, a good sport climber using you as his rope bitch is not a "mentor."

Start with top roping, then lead climbing with quickdraws and bolts, practice falling while you know your protection will hold.

While trad climbing, just dont fall.

Edited by 111

Just wanted to give you all a little update. I have been reading up on climbing, especially rock climbing. Going to be checking out this rock climbing gym next week. I am starting to understand all the equipment so definitely feeling good about that. Hopefully will be able to find a mentor sometime. Thanks again for the advice everyone.

Dream, you're in Florida, pretty much means a gym, that's cool, but don't let that define climbing for you. You really want to get outside, and eventually want to lead on gear. Georgia and NC both have good climbing. Actually NC has world-class climbing. Ditto TN, Try to hook up with trad folks from NC during a trip on Rockclimbing.com, SEClimbers.com, or MountainProject.com:

http://www.mountainproject.com/v/north_carolina/105873282

http://www.rockclimbing.com/partners/

Let whoever know your situation and that you're looking to learn about trad climbing and would like to second for them (once you are a competent lead belayer).

Yeah, DC, what Joseph said about stellar climbing in NC. Go to Stone Mountain in North Carolina, not Georgia. It's my understanding that you aren't allowed to climb at SM GA because it's a park and monument to the Confederacy with a huge carving of some Confederate leaders on the face.

But SM NC is still open to climbing, although you will get bullhorned off after dark by the park ranger (DAMHIK). It's a fantastic granite slab playground. Also don't miss Linville Gorge, Looking Glass, Whitesides, and Moore's Wall.

Good luck in your studies and we await your arrival to the West! :wave:

• 4 weeks later...