how crazy is winter in the valley?

ivan

thinking of using my 2 weeks for winter break by going down - never been there in the winter months - how accurate are forecasts and how likely to get stable weatehr for long enough to do a wall? what routes are best protected from ice and runoff? leaning tower i'd imagine, but what else?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've climbed the captain a handfull of times in the winter. Had mixed results with the weather, but usually it is good. Weather forecasting is usually fairly accurate for yosemite. Though this year its been off on a few storms.

The Leaning tower is a good choice due to steepness but it is colder over there than other places due to its aspect. The Column sees a fair bit of sun.

Anything right of Iron Hawk to Zodiac can be climbed in full on winter conditions. During very cold periods after heavy precip a large hanging ice dagger does form above the shortest straw and could possibly due some damage but it only forms in odd conditions.

The Nose can also be fairly dry but gets hammered during a storm.

If the WX has been good coming down the north dome gully wouldn't be an issue at all. If the WX has been bad you are right, just rap the South Face. I've rapped that route numerous times.

The east ledges can be full value if there is a lot of snow, especially if you don't have them dialed. My first time down them with 5+ feet of snow on top was totally epic, harder than lost in america (the route we just climbed). If you do the nose or a route close to it, you could just rap the nose. Its straightforward but long.

• 2 weeks later...
So in a day we can get four pages worth of crap abouz a single poster that may or may not be a douche bag, but the peanut gallery doesn’t want to talk about big wallin in the valley in the winter. WTF? This site is lame, I say lets burn that fawker down :)

hp_scanDS_711168342139.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Could be an interesting week:

Forecast for Sierra Nevada from Yosemite to Kings Canyon

Updated: 2:53 PM PST on December 16, 2010

Winter Storm Warning in effect from 10 am Friday to 4 PM PST Sunday above 7000 feet...

Tonight

Mostly cloudy with a slight chance of snow. A 20 percent chance of rain after midnight. Snow level 5000 feet. Lows 25 to 35 at 5000 feet...14 to 24 at 8000 feet.

Friday

Snow and rain...snow near the crest. Snow accumulation up to 13 inches. Snow level 6000 feet. Highs 39 to 47 at 5000 feet...31 to 41 at 8000 feet.

» ZIP Code Detail

Friday Night

Rain and snow...snow near the crest. Windy. Snow accumulation up to 35 inches. Snow level 7000 feet. Lows 32 to 40 at 5000 feet...23 to 33 at 8000 feet. South winds 25 to 30 mph with gusts to around 60 mph.

Saturday

Rain and snow. Windy. Snow accumulation up to 23 inches. Snow level 7500 feet. Highs 41 to 49 at 5000 feet... 35 to 43 at 8000 feet. South winds 25 to 35 mph with gusts to around 70 mph.

» ZIP Code Detail

Saturday Night

Rain and snow. Windy. Snow accumulation up to 36 inches. Snow level above 8000 feet. Lows 33 to 41 at 5000 feet...22 to 32 at 8000 feet. South winds 25 to 30 mph with gusts to around 50 mph.

Sunday through Monday Night

Snow and rain. Very windy. Highs 40 to 50 at 5000 feet...34 to 44 at 8000 feet. Lows 30 to 40 at 5000 feet...19 to 29 at 8000 feet.

Tuesday and Tuesday Night

Snow and rain likely. Very windy. Chance of precipitation 70 percent. Highs 42 to 52 at 5000 feet... 35 to 45 at 8000 feet. Lows 30 to 40 at 5000 feet...18 to 28 at 8000 feet.

Wednesday

Snow and rain. Windy. Chance of precipitation 80 percent. Highs 43 to 53 at 5000 feet...35 to 45 at 8000 feet.

Wednesday Night

Snow showers likely. Windy. Chance of precipitation 70 percent. Lows 30 to 38 at 5000 feet...18 to 28 at 8000 feet.

Thursday

Snow and rain likely. Chance of precipitation 70 percent. Highs 43 to 53 at 5000 feet...37 to 45 at 8000 feet.

how's it out there in co? heard a giant storm was coming your way. faqh'n'a, i've seen the clear blue sky, sun n' venus maybe 3 times in the past 2 months? :) at this rate, the ropes i left hangign above the arena of dome are gonna be there till july!