Trimming Down

pope

Got a friend who likes alpine rock routes (who doesn't?). Anyway, he's got a weight-saving system for bivies, in which he and his buddy use a 2-man bivouac sack (spooning, no forking), which is significantly lighter than two singles. I don't know what else he does to save weight, but he's had success with the system.

Anybody else tried it? Do you have any other hot tips for saving weight, especially for climbs that require a bivouac (for average climbers, anyway)?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For summer climbs when the forecast is good I'll leave the bivy sack home and take my Wild Things pack that has a half body length extension sleeve and a removeable foam back pad. The back pad folds out to become a 18"X36"X1/4" thick approx. sleeping pad and the pack a half bivy bag. Combined with a coat for whatever temps are and a hat it is comfy enough for a night or two. If only it had a suspension system that made load carrying easier it would be perfect.

I suppose not too many guys would want to admit to believing in the double-biv-sac system....but I'm serious, it's supposed to be lighter than two singles and a little more secure than a tarp. The guy I'm thinking of ain't the least bit fruity. He's a real man's man, with the wife and kids and the whole nine yards. Technically he's Joe Average, handling 5.10 on a good day, but he's used this system on some fast ascents (fast for an average guy, like a carry-over on Chouinard/Beckey on South Howser in two days, car-to-car).

quote:

Originally posted by kevin page:
My ex and I used to use a double bivy bag that she'd made. She also sewed a zipper onto a sheet that matched up to a down sleeping bag. The sleeping bag was then a blanket for us both. I don't know how much weight this saved but it sure made bivy's fun.

yeah, she's still got that bag- it works pretty nice

quote:

Originally posted by Cpt.Caveman:
All I know is Crack has the best system. He dont take shit! Not even a stove that works
[laf]
shit paper or anything but ramen raw, a tadbit of water.

Caveman, if you worked a job where you ate with a stick or a spoon carved from a stick, started all your fires with a native american bow-drill set, cooked in an old coffee can over a squaw fire, and got six sheets of tp per grump until it ran out then used spruce cones or mullin leaves, ate raw ramen, carrots, and PB for lunch every day...you'd know where Crack's comin' from. grin.gif" border="0 So here's to Crack's ghetto bivy system, one we both got to use extensively. Here's to ya Crack [big Drink]

I've been using the same mind set ever since I started climbing concerning bivys and what gear to take. A light weight sac, all needed climbing gear (pared down to the minimum), a sweater, wind coat, hat and gloves, ediable food and water bottle. Depending on the rt., one ice axe, one pair of crampons, a thin rope. No stove, no bivy sacks, no foam pads, no electronic devices(sound or navagation). The idea is to lighten the load so that moving over tough terrain is easy and FUN! You can tough it out for a few nights, play like your an Afgan.

quote:

Originally posted by chucK:
Bronco, Is that the voice of experience or are you just making shit up?

I am offended you would think one of us capable of making up something like this. NO, I AM NOT MAKING IT UP. I don't do it every weekend, but you don't really need sleep as bad as you think. Thats why God gave us COFFEE!!

Why, do you want to go climbing with me?

Sorry Bronco, I guess I was thrown by the conditional tense in your statement. That is, you wrote [bQ] I'd pack a bottle of coffee [/bQ], like I would as opposed to I do. But I guess people don't choose their words that carefully around here so I should just be more careful.

Also, I was thinking that climbing through the night might be good and all in summertime Alaska, but down here in WA it gets dark in the middle of the night, and darkness sorta diminishes my climbing enjoyment.

What did Roger write? That what was key was to make "moving over rough terrain easy and FUN". Maybe you young guys think its fun to stay up all night, but I don't, especially if it involves demanding physical activity.

Later.

• 1 year later...