Skiing tomorrow

Ed_Hobbick

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Early season snow is often unstable for a few days, especially when the wind has been blowing and then the temp is going to warm, which it has and it is. There is no avalanche control in the backcountry and skiers used to skiing on the groomed are often not aware of the dangers of unstable snow because the avalanche control that goes on in the wee hours before they hit the slopes is out of sight and out of mind. In the backcountry it does not exist.

Acquire avy gear and learn how to use it (you must practice this stuff first), get educated about how to travel in avalanche terrain, and go with others who are similarly prepared, or... stay off and out from under slopes between 25 and 40 degrees.

Enjoy! You will love it! :)

Edited by pcg

Seeing as there is only about 2-3ft of snow on the ground at the moment, I doubt avy danger would be a huge concern. Plenty of vegetation anchors. I would be pretty surprised if you could get enough snow moving to cause you problems. I'd be more worried about trashing your skis, or a knee.

hi ed - we skied up to muir yesterday in really foggy conditions. the avy potential was very low - the snow is well bonded. nonetheless, we always carry avy gear.

there is plenty of snow in most places, you can start skiing directly from the parking lot, but a few rocks sticking out here and there. good luck, stay safe.