This is how ya do it

billcoe

http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-northwest-news/index.ssf/2010/10/woman_who_went_missing_while_picking_mushrooms_found_early_this_morning.html

Sonn Souv, a 93-year-old Newberg woman who went missing Tuesday while mushroom picking in Washington's Gifford Pinchot National Forest, was found alive and well early this morning.

When searchers found her, Souv had covered herself with brush and bark to keep warm, Skamania County authorities said. She was found in an area thick with underbrush and timber. She was located about 3/10ths of a mile east of the base of search operations.

Souv suffered minor injuries and was taken to an area hospital as a precaution.

Souv was reported missing by her family at 3:30 p.m. Tuesday. She had been picking mushrooms near the Salt Creek Trailhead on the Forest Service Road 8031.

Dave Cox, undersheriff of Skamania County, said Souv, who is originally from Cambodia, is physically disabled hearing impaired. He said she got lost in thick brush and decided to stay put.

"She couldn't hear anything," Cox said, adding that Souv did see a search helicopter circling the area.

"I'll tell you what -- a hardy gal," Cox said. "We're really thankful we found her."

-- The Oregonian

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I'd heard of her being missing, I figured at 93 and out picking mushrooms, either she knew her way around the block and would survive, or would go out doing what she loved.

Oh, and bravo to "Alpinist" who posted up in the comment section of the linked news article to get across the point about charging for rescues. :tup:

Edited by Off_White

Dang mushroom pickers wasting my tax dollars. Make them pay for their own ignorance.

Provided that was a military helo involved in the rescue, it wouldn't have affected your taxes at all. They fly every day, rescue or not. I have spoken with NAS Whidby pilots and they consider civilian SAR missions to be great training.

As for the cost of the ground SAR, it is pretty minimal (with the exception of the police officer on duty). I am a SAR member and I pay for everything related to me going on a search.

And for the record, as a SAR member, I don't want anyone to be charged for a rescue.

Ummm, Jeffery, I'm pretty sure RaisedByPikas's post was made with tongue firmly in cheek and in response to the spray that usually appears in the comments of news sites whenever there is a climbing rescue story.

Ok, point taken.

I am used to seeing the normal spray and it pisses me off at times :)