[TR] Squire Creek Wall - Illusion Wall - Excalibur III 5.10+ 10/17/2010

Rainman

Trip: Squire Creek Wall - Illusion Wall - Excalibur III 5.10+

Date: 10/17/2010

Trip Report:

For us weekend warriors, this climbing season was tough to get much done. Fortunately, October graced us with some real nice sunny weekends and I managed to complete another project on the Illusion Wall of Squire Creek. So last Sunday I rounded up a couple of agreeable climbing teams to go climb it with the idea of doing a photo shoot as well. The location of the route and the climb itself makes it very photogenic, particularly if you can get to the side to take pictures. So with two climbing teams I had the lead team fix a line for me to jug on and I was free to take pictures as I pleased. I think I got some good ones. I hope you'll agree.

The route has essentially 10 pitches, but pitch two is basically a third class scramble. The tenth pitch is a lower angle somewhat dirty pitch that will get you to the top if you want. We rapped from the top of the nineth. The rest however, are very nice, moderatly sustained pitches on excellent stone in a beautiful setting. All belays have nice ledges with bolted anchors. Rappel the route for the desent using only the anchors with chain links. Some of the pitches are short (for good reason), allowing you to combine a couple of pitches with 60 meter ropes on the way down.

!DSC01326.JPG

Brandon leading out pitch one that starts from the left side of the base and follows nine bolts to reach a ledge system that traverses clear across the entire bottom of the face 5.8

DSC01340.JPG

Brandon leading out on pitch three 5.10+. This is where the route really begins.

DSC01373.JPG

DSC01383.JPG

Eric leading up the corner (5.9) of pitch three

DSC01348.JPG

Brandon following pitch four 5.10+ The only pitch with all bolts. All the rest are a mix of gear and bolts.

DSC01453.JPG

Dave belaying Eric on pitch four

DSC01392.JPG

Darryl following pitch five 5.9+. Now we're getting steep! This pitch takes you up to the anchor just right of the "Excalibur flake"

DSC014601.JPG

Eric heading out on pitch five.

DSC014741.JPG

Eric looking good on pitch five. The other route "The Holy Grail" goes up the skyline in the background.

DSC01485.JPG

David following pitch five.

DSC014051.JPG

Darryl heading out on the signature pitch of the climb, pitch six 5.9

DSC01436.JPG

DSC01439.JPG

Brandon following.

DSC01506.JPG

David takes his turn on the flake with Eric drooling in the background.

DSC01521.JPG

David heads up the other side of the flake to join Darryl at the belay. Short pitch, but necessary to keep things from getting out of hand.

DSC01526.JPG

Darryl following Brandon up pitch seven 5.10-

DSC01553.JPG

Eric finishing his lead of pitch seven.

DSC01577.JPG

David working hard on the tiny finger crack of pitch eight 5.10+

DSC01584.JPG

Pitch eight has a short right hand traverse that gets you into some pretty high exposure.

DSC01588.JPG

David chalking up for the crux of pitch eight. Jumbo Peak in the background.

DSC01633.JPG

Pitch nine has an awesome corner that looks a lot harder than it is. Can you believe only 5.9?

DSC01637.JPG

Eric at the top of the corner, pitch nine.

DSC01646.JPG

From the corner a few face moves get you to the final flake for the top of pitch nine.

DSC016491.JPG

Big thanks to my lead team Brandon & Darryl for fixing the jug line.

DSC01671.JPG

How about a round of applause to the modeling team of Eric & David. Thanks guys, for all your patience.

As you can see it was a picture perfect day and a good time was had by all. So if you really like clean rock and aren't afraid to hike for it the Illusion Wall is definitely worth a trip

Gear Notes:

All pitches except pitch four require some gear mixed in with bolts. Take a good selection of gear up to 3" with emphasis in the 3/4" range. 15 quick draws with a couple of longer runners should do.

Approach Notes:

The approach to Illusion Wall, which is a sub-wall of the Squire Creek Wall monolith, is nicely detailed in Whitelaw's new edition of Darrington Rock - "Rattle & Slime"

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome!!! :rawk:

I'm glad to see that it went down smoothly :brew: It was great to meet up with you guys on Sunday morning on the day of the send (and thanks for showing us the right trail exit for SD)

Our run on Slab Daddy was a little more wet than we had anticipated which led to some spicy leads for sure (not to mention a cold river crossing). Every ledge was soaked on the way down which gave our ropes a nice washing whether we wanted it or not.

Can't wait to get on both Excalibur and Holy Grail! Congrats! :tup:

Hell yeah man, looks like ya'll had a great time Sunday! Me and Danny took advantage of the sunny weather on Tuesday this week to get this line in before the snow starts falling. A couple pics...

04_bkh_pitch_1.JPG

06_drc_pitch_3.JPG

07_awesome_pitch_3_corner.JPG

11_bkh_pitch_4.JPG

10_zoom_of_pitch_6_flake.JPG

We rapped from the top of the ninth pitch. Took about 13 hours car to car. Another stellar route on beautiful granite! :brew:

Thanks for the TR and thanks for putting up another classic on the Illusion Wall. Chris, David, Darryl, and others for pounding in those bolts. Every pitch has character, great route. I wish I knew why I cant get pictures to upload on here anymore so I could put the one of Darryl bear hugging the flake, yep thats the one Reid.

• 2 weeks later...

Dude that is an awesome looking route! Props to you guys for hand drilling all that hard wear! You guys ROCK! Maybe someday I can head back to the homeland and climb it :)

Miss you guys alot too! Brandon you the man. And Darryl can't wait for you to get out to the frontier land and send Genyen with us!

Edited by LaughingSquirrel