Underappreciated Index walls

rocketparrotlet

As I've been climbing at Index more often, it has really hit me that only a couple of places get regular traffic. If we get more people at the less-used crags, maybe some great routes will be cleaned. An example is Hag Crag, a couple minutes right of Private Idaho. It's only a 20-minute walk from the Bush House, but the entire crag besides one slab route is covered in moss. That one slab route (End Run, 5.10a) is fantastic! There are 3 more like it on the crag.

I don't have a car, so I can't drive out and clean these routes myself. But I'd be glad to come along and clean them with someone else. There are a lot of routes that could use some more traffic- and maybe we could even find a hidden wall and pick up a first ascent; I know of a couple of unclimbed cracks at Index.

-Mark

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm glad End Run is still clean, I cleaned it April, 2009. It only took me about 45 minutes to scrub the layers off. Good luck on getting those FA's at Index, just make sure you do your research before claiming an FA. ;)

Other routes for you:

- Starfish (5.9)** and The Nine (5.10a)**** Blues cliff. Both located at the top, must be rapped into and have awesome exposure.

-Free Range Chook (5.10b) Shady Lane **

-Peanuts to Serve (5.9)** and Purple Kool Aid* (5.10a) Look-out Point

-The Routes on the Collegium Wall(above Look-out Point). are pretty spectacular both 5.10c. ****

How do I get to the Lookout Point crag? I went to the actual Lookout Point with the flag on top of it trying to find Private Idaho yesterday.

I've done Free Range Chook! It's a great climb...but I did not send. The crux is tricky. By the way, I improved and extended the Shady Lane trail for an Eagle Scout project this August.

I haven't been to Blues Cliff before, I'll have to check it out.

I will make sure to do my research before claiming a first ascent. I haven't given close look to anything yet.

You walked right by Private Idaho if you went to the top of Lookout Point. When you come to the Y in the trail and take a right, Private Idaho will be the first noticable cliff above you. Lookout Point begins directly above Private Idaho.

Thanks for working on that trail. I wish more people would take initiative to do maintenance at Index.

You walked right by Private Idaho if you went to the top of Lookout Point. When you come to the Y in the trail and take a right, Private Idaho will be the first noticable cliff above you. Lookout Point begins directly above Private Idaho.

Thanks for working on that trail. I wish more people would take initiative to do maintenance at Index.

Sorry but no we didnt walk by private idaho. I have been there before and I think i would have noticed. I'm not sure what we dud but I'm almost certain we went under lookout point and above private Idaho.

If you came in under lookout point from the main gully near the insect wall, you didn't walk by Private Idaho, but you probably did hike right by Peanuts to Serve You. That route starts off the trail on a ledge that requires a little brush scramble to start and is easy to miss.

But if you were hiking under lookout point moving east to west, then yes, you probably walked by Private Idaho.

The trails are a little convoluted up there but I think Darryl's or the Cummin's guide has them pretty well mapped.

Trail Map

Edited by orion_sonya