Ice Fest

Dru

Friday: beat the crowds (ha). ICy BC. I led ist pitch. cam led 2nd pitch. guy edwards led the 3rd pitch ( his party ran around the hike up and beat us to the 2nd pitch while we were clinmbing the 1st) and we cheated and made him leave his screws in so we could "pink point smile.gif" border="0 " ETHICS POLICE WARNING!!!

Saturday: Synchronmicity looked like some ice was missing to get to the ramp so we hit the rambles. did a 2 pitch (3, 4) on the far right then a 1-pitch 2+ in the middle, did not continue further up that routebecause vegiebelay had a party of seven further up the drainage. 6 ppl. on the left line so we hiked out and visited the Tube which was not in. (thin pillar to verglas)

saturday night: everyone walked around going "where is ray?" but ray didn't show up frown.gif" border="0 so we drank his beer and stole his women tongue.gif" border="0 & won 2 games of pool when opponents sunk the 8ball in the wrong pocket

sunday: Night N Gale. no avvy hazard, snow quite stable. we were the only ones there. long hike to a 30m 2+ pitch (soloed but scary on hollow funky ice) then the main falls were a 60m 3+ pitch to a 65m 2+ pitch. I dunno HOW this route gets 4+ in the guide. nowhere close. if the upper curtain on the first pitch forms a bit more and hides the ramp it might go from 3+ to 4 but calling it 4+ is quite a stretch. as it is if you can lead oregon jack you will have no problems on this route.

cam froze a toe and moaned for hours on the drive home. i got a cold and sniffled. it got COLD on Sunday. lots of ice appearing and forming FAST.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice, hey were those pool oponents Locals? If so, your probably lucky that you got outa there alive.(Most of the locals seem super nice though, way cooler than most Seattleites)

I'd agree that most of the routes in West Coast Ice seem over rated (or at least the few that I have done.) I suppose you could call syncro a 4+ or whatever...but only about 15ft of it. I could see how Carlsberg could be a 5 in very thin conditions...but wern't conditions very thin this year? I've done 4's in Montana that were just as sustained and steeper. Anyway...what to do? The beers over priced in Canada too! tongue.gif" border="0

[ 01-29-2002: Message edited by: Lambone ]

i dunno- think it varies from climb to climb. I did Shriek w/Dale on Saturday. Go up there and see if you think the last pitch is a "4+". Same thing with Loose Lady. Serl says Shriek will be upgraded in the next edition of the book as he admits it is typically a major sandbag.

well, they cal Shriek of the Sheep a 4+ too... and I ve seen that pillar.... ya right, 5 fer sure!

and what about the Rockies, man, Grotto Falls is Grade 2 not 3, same with This House of Sky. I guess everywhere but Montana is underrated.

our beer may be pricy but that's what you pay for QUALITY. actually it s cheaper than "good" US beer. $11 for a 6 pack of Lucky's? that must have been off sales at a Beer and Wine store. hit the Liquor Store for better deals like $9.50 for a 6er of Ok Springs Olde English Porter (9% alc/vol)

[ 01-29-2002: Message edited by: Dru ]

Yeah N& G was making weird noises like it was going to dinner plate half pitch-high chunks as we climbed it. shocked.gif" border="0 SCARY. I think there was an ice layer over snow over ice, and the outer crust was breaking, but was bonded to the snow underneath... it certainly encouraged one to place good screws even though the climbingwasnt that hard.

quote:

Originally posted by Dru:

and what about the Rockies, man, Grotto Falls is Grade 2 not 3, same with This House of Sky.

[ 01-29-2002: Message edited by: Dru ]

Did you make it to the very end of this house of sky??? A few years back, climbed a pitch (60' or so) that had huge mushrooms at the top that overhung way beyond any WI 2 or 3 rating for that matter...also started outa cave...the pitch was what seemed like miles above all the rambling soloable 2-3 ice...unfortunatley the daylight prevented us from ever making it to the end of that damn climb...IS there an end??

I suggest you drive the moving van from the old cave to the new one by way of Lillooet this weekend to take advantage of primo freezing. Hell by Friday HONEYMAN might even be formed.

I bought a 3-pound jug of that Honeyman honey on Sunday. mmmm "Cariboo Golden" it sounds like a strain of weed. maybe Terminal Gravity will tip the secret on how to get it to ferment and make Mead.