skull hollow winter closure?!?

ivan

wtf? there's a big old gate that can be closed on the entrance now, plus a private-market pig-wannnabe enforcing camping/extra vehicle fees! home-slice says apparently people have been squatting in the 'hollow, firing off guns n' being all sketchy, so now they're gonna close it from november to may? prineville meth-heads of the world unite and get'er done! :)

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wtf? there's a big old gate that can be closed on the entrance now, plus a private-market pig-wannnabe enforcing camping/extra vehicle fees! home-slice says apparently people have been squatting in the 'hollow, firing off guns n' being all sketchy, so now they're gonna close it from november to may? prineville meth-heads of the world unite and get'er done! :)

they weren't sleeping in bathrooms were they :D

FWIW, the bathrooms were clean and stocked with TP and there was a dumpster and a recycle bin, and the sites has less trash when we were there a couple of weeks ago, which wasn't a terrible trade off for my $5/night (ethical/political/dirtbag arguments aside). Winter closure would suck though. Any other camping ideas for me and my Chinook?

FWIW, the bathrooms were clean and stocked with TP and there was a dumpster and a recycle bin, and the sites has less trash when we were there a couple of weeks ago, which wasn't a terrible trade off for my $5/night (ethical/political/dirtbag arguments aside). Winter closure would suck though. Any other camping ideas for me and my Chinook?

Camp in the field to the right of the actual camp site. I have before.

Ivan, the fees and camp host have been in place for a while now. (most of this year if I recall?) I was bit skeptical of the fee system at first but now I'm stoked on it. $5 for a campsite seems fair to me, if you and a car of bros are there that comes out to a $1 per person. What can you do for a $1 per night? (aside from your Mom of course)

The camp host down there is a strange one. He appears to be a rent a cop working as a contractor for the BLM. He's actually a nice dude doing a thankless job of running that place. I've forgotten to pay him a few times and he's always been very chill about it. Compare this to the FS hosts or BLM hosts, you forget to pay them and it is 5:00AM pounding on the tent with threats of fines and evection.

-Nate

Edited by eldiente

shit so now I have to drive an extra 20 min to my house... :fahq:

seriously though... if your going to come and camp the bivy is killer just be super low key sleeping in your cars, most people that travel dont have a parks pass so your parking is included there with your camp fee. and you get a shower. and your camped there. the only reason you cant sleep in your car is because its a county ordinance. a sherrif would have to come give you a ticket as there are no state park leos in the area. if your cool about it youll be fine. ive stayed there 3-4 times the past few years after getting too wasted and always sleep in my truck and never pay... never been hassled. other wise the shit hole of a camp ground the grasslands was/is is still surrounded by thousands of acres of BLM land. camp where ever the fuck you want. also pleantiful blm land even closer 2.5 mi down lower bridge road. and that sets you up for a trip through terrbonne in the morning.

Come on, you guys will all pay $5 for a good beer but you won't pay $5 for a toilet, garbage service, recycling and a guy who keeps out the crankers? The days of free camping are over, throw down a five and stop whinning.

no thanks - poverty has compelled me to forego decent beer for pabst, and i can shit in a field for free and be perfectly happy :) reckon i can do that just outside the gate though, as has been said...

I think most climbers would be less pissed off it the $5/night fee brought with it some basic upgrades to the grasslands. Simple things like better toilets, a water tap or two, upgrading all the sites so they ALL have a table and fire-pit. Seriously, if we're going to have to pay for what was always free, we better see some benefit. Otherwise, I'll continue to go 500 ft outside the fence and camp for free.

I think most climbers would be less pissed off it the $5/night fee brought with it some basic upgrades to the grasslands. Simple things like better toilets, a water tap or two, upgrading all the sites so they ALL have a table and fire-pit. Seriously, if we're going to have to pay for what was always free, we better see some benefit. Otherwise, I'll continue to go 500 ft outside the fence and camp for free.

Seriously? You must want Kamping with a K, as in KOA? The upgrades you get for $5 is a dude keeping out the crankers and cleaning up the garbage. Don't you remember what a shithole that used to be?...I can remember camping at the park in the 80's in the grass next to my car, but times change. You guys crack me up.

Ivan, Poverty? are you joking? You own a rack, a car and drink Pabst, you know nothing about poverty.