Outdoor Experiential Learning and Challenge Course

DKB

I am preparing a business plan to develop 90 acres in eastern Washington, and would like to include a rock climbing element. The parcel is the triangle that is in the center at the upper edge and bordering Resthaven Road, it is currently a basalt quarry and blasting is permitted to create specific rock climbing elements.

Any suggestions for the design of rock climbing elements would be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your input either here or privately at Bachiahtat@msn.com.

Heckart_Quarry_Aerial.jpg

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think blasting is really the best way to 'create' rock climbing elements in basalt. IMHO you would be better off having a climber experienced in installing sport routes. Maybe try getting a hold of Leland Windham or Bryan Burdo to take a look at what you have and if there is potential for routes.

while not basalt, I tried climbing in a quarry (it had bolts so someone is using it) and I thought it was very loose. A loose rock face would not be a good business location. Maybe you need to consult with a geologist to see what the face would be if you did some blasting. My gut feeling is that blasting would shake the place enough to destroy any good location.

If you are legit, you need to be ready to spend a not insignificant amount of money, I suggest that you contact one of several professional local geologists. They could tell you at what point in the CRBG you are in, how likely blasting will exhume climbable rock, and the general character of the basalts which comprise your parcel. The work of Newell Campbell and Steve Riedel in the CRB's has been particulary exhaustive

The characteristics of the Columbia River Basalt Group vary greatly between flows, and climbing has been limited to only a few flows of the at least 47 which comprise the CRBG. In fact, I would guess that the vast majority of rock climbing in the CRBG is done on the Roza flow at several different areas. Generally, with a few notable exceptions, the best climbing on basaltic and columnar andestic rocks is on well developed colonnades. Some climbing has been done on the entablature and solid fragmented base areas.

I believe that your area is comprised of the Saddle Mountain basalts, but I could be wrong.

Anyone who does a professional geological analysis of your land should be a professional with errors and omissions insurance, and I would venture that any "professional route setters" you hire as rock climbing consultants or route setters should for their own protection be well insured and indemnified.

It seems like a fair assumption that you will be looking for investors. If your promises to these investors, or to Yakima County fail and the area is unsuitable for rock climbing, or if much more excavation is needed to unearth claimable rock, will these investors come looking for money from your "consultants"?

Safety will also have to be a much bigger concern for any professional climbing consultants you hire. Presently, because the route setters are putting up routes on public lands and receiving no payment, they are protected by the RCW. If they put up routes on your payroll, as the assumed professional, they could get sucked into any climbing related law suit.

I would recommend that anyone who becomes involved in this project be well insured, and well informed of the intentions of the OP.

Thank you for the response and information, please remember it's simply a fledgling business plan, and I am merely in a planning stage at best; your providing local geological contacts is much appreciated.

According to DNR's website the local area is- Columbia River Basalt:

In the western portion of the Columbia Basin, the flows of the Columbia River Basalt Group have been folded into a series of giant anticlines that strike east-west to southeast-northwest. This region is called the Yakima Fold Belt subprovince. The anticlines have steep dips north of the fold axis and overturned beds in numerous locations. The south flanks of the anticlines have gentle dips. Folding was initiated during middle to late Miocene time and has continued to this day. Crossing the Columbia Basin is a northwest-trending tectonic feature called the Olympic Wallowa Lineament. Right-lateral displacement on this transform structure influenced the formation of the Pasco Basin.

In any case, if the basalt on the property is not safe and/or suitable for climbing, so be it; the begining of the end to a rock climbing element.

Not being a rock climber, I have to appreciate your candid risk warnings, just thought a rock climbing element would encourage being outdoors here as well as spark an interest in the sport, thereby supporting both a personal vision and regional rockclimbing enthusiasts, as the sun shines nearly 320 days a year here, so perfect for outdoor passions, such as rock climbing.

I believe that the correct geologic map for your area is Washington State DNR, Division of Geology and Earth Resources Open File Report 93-3. If you are on the map, it will be sheet 1.

You should by my reckoning be very close to the edge of the map, and if you are west of 120*30", this map will not be applicable, but I think that WA DNR GM-29 (1983) would be

Are there any big cliffs on your land? How tall are they and how frequently do bits seem to be falling off them? These are the questions most climbers evaluate knew cliffs with.

If there aren't existing cliffs it is probably not cost effective to dig some up. Why not simply build a wooden climbing structure as many Outdoor Education programs and camps do? You could also look into hiring some experienced guides/climbing educators and getting permits to take kids on some of the established climbs near you on public land.

Thanks for the link to the DNR map, if its the piece I think it might be - could be a Tfg Ginkgo Flow

There is just something about natural made that appeals to most and the property is very close in, with public land travel is required, perhaps an hour or more of driving afterschool, work, and on the weekends is a challenge; and I like the idea of reduced fuel consumption, traffic, etc.

Not sure if WSDOT test results apply to the suitability of climbing but here they are:

Absorption: 1.21 Apparent Sp. G.: 2.895 Bulk Sp. G. (SSD): 2.831 Bulk Sp. G.: 2.797 Deg: 82 LA: 27

.... if its the piece I think it might be - could be a Tfg Ginkgo Flow

Very likely. I believe the Gingko is known to develop a good colonnade structure. What you need to do is get the maps, and carefully decipher your purposed location on the map. I believe I have walked your area more than once, with more than one of the mappers. If the quarry is where I believe it is, the stratigraphic location shown on Bob, Newell's and Jack's map is beyond reproach.

Not sure if WSDOT test results apply to the suitability of climbing but here they are:

Absorption: 1.21 Apparent Sp. G.: 2.895 Bulk Sp. G. (SSD): 2.831 Bulk Sp. G.: 2.797 Deg: 82 LA: 27

These have little or nothing to do with suitability for climbing. Absorption will be based on jointing and volume of vesicles, specific gravity is a measure of density. These numbers will be common among many basalts and andesites.

What is most important is the stratigraphic location and attitude of your quarry.

The legal responsibilities of anyone who creates a climbing area specifically for rock climbing is something to discuss with a lawyer very seriously.

If a recreational climber is injured on an unimproved cliff on your private property, there is assumed to be an amount of protection afforded you by the RCW. Like wise it could be assumed that if climbers recreationally climb on a quarry that you own, and have not quarried for the express purpose of developing rock climbing, you should be protected. An example of this would be the Lower Index Town Wall while it is (was) owned by private parties.

If you quarry an area specifically to create climbing, especially in an rock as known for small to medium scale exfoliation and jointing fractures as the CRB's, I would think your legal standing and degree of indemnification is much more complicated