27 members have voted

1. 1. Bolts on Lundin

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure. I thought I might skew the data if I gave my opinion subtly through an explanation but I'll proceed. So ya, there have been some deaths on Lundin, despite its class 4 terrain. There are two memorial plaques. But there are also two "memorial" bolts that are old, decrepit, unnecessary and probably dangerous as well as very unsightly. The only reason- I believe- they haven't been removed is because they are "memorial bolts". That's fine- I guess- but the plaques are more than enough memorial. I think two huge bolts on 4th class terrain gives the wrong message. It's saying that if people make big mistakes that we will murder the impossible. I mean, why not do via ferrata on every route where people die. We shouldn't destroy the aesthetics of a route that is definitely protectable naturally because of one person's mistakes.

I also understand the almost artistic message that the bolts portray but I think their time has passed.

I'm definitely not taking away from the deaths. The memorial plaques are fine (but I don't advocate placing plaques on every route for every death). I mean, lets face it- sometimes people screw up in the mountains. Why make a mockery of our sport by protecting fourth class terrain. Honestly I felt almost offended when I third classed down past the bolts. I think it makes climbers look stupid. Anyways, that's it.

Edited by summitchaserCJB

If you don't care, don't post. Otherwise it's spray.

Dude....first of all, why are you posting Lundin Peak jive in the rock climbing forum?

Second of all, junior, show some respect. The moderator you are chastising with your "don't post" comment [in deconstructed form,= "shut up"] has probably been climbing more years than you've been alive!

Chopping bolts, especially bolts that have been around longer than you have been climbing and possibly longer than you have been alive is going to cause problems. Leave it be and stop trying to leave your mark on the NW climbing scene.

I may have a different opinion if someone who knew what they are doing was asking the question.

Chopping bolts, especially bolts that have been around longer than you have been climbing and possibly longer than you have been alive is going to cause problems. Leave it be and stop trying to leave your mark on the NW climbing scene.

I may have a different opinion if someone who knew what they are doing was asking the question.

Classic! :tup:

Edited by Mr. Hands