Gamma MX

layton

Always heard rave reviews, never really actually held one. I was at REI last night and saw them for ~$350. Anyway, it seemed like an Addidas track jacket. I couldn't believe how light it was, and would never use something like that as my shell in harsh conditions...and I know it's not designed for harsh conditions, but what's the point of such an expensive piece of technical gear if you could get away with a cheap $40 bike jersey if it's not cold or wet? WTF? How can a track jacket cost that much. I know Arctyrx is expensive, but I really couldn't believe it with this piece!

...so for those of you who own one - is it magical or something?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have an older one (about 3 years), and love it.

the material hasn't lost much of its water repellency (climbing, skiing, year-round bike commuting), it's largely windproof, and it vents exceptionally. for climbing, if it's a cold and dry day, this is my outer layer.

the dropped tail, the overall length, the trim sleeves - it's great. i think the jacket really shines in its details though -

the hood is great for a climbing or a skiing helmet, very adjustable in the right places.

the sleeves are gussetted, so when you have your climbing harness on top of it, and you swing that tool as high as you can - the jacket stays in place and doesn't ride up. it may seem minor, but this is definitely one of my favorite things about it. i only wish they'd continued with the consideration for the harness, and put the pockets a little higher (but maybe it's been solved in the newer models).

re: price, got mine (new, w/o tags) at geartrade.com

Yes Mike it is magical..works well in way worse weather than you might expect. I've used mine many times in nasty mid winter icefield conditons as my only shell garment and never been dissapointed.

But truth is the Gamma is out dated now. Much lighter and better pieces available although you have to give up a good bit of the stretch to achieve that at the moment. Atom Lt and Atom come to mind as better pieces on the cold end (-15/-20C) of the Gamma usefulness. There was a time I never thought I'd be without a Gamma Hoody for winter climbing..they really are that good.

The Gamma is stretchy, very durable, wind resistant, and warm for it's weight and dries easily. Ebay prices can be almost 1/2 for new garments with tags.

there's little point in buying dead bird anymore ... they're behind the curve these days and all their gear has ben surpassed with the exception of harnesses

rain shells ... westcomb and others surpassed them with event shells, as well as hybrid ones

soft shells ... same as above with hybrid shells ... other manufacturers have seam taped softshell as well ...

insulated jackets ... the duelly is supposedly still the king of belay jackets ... however for any other jacket they are no better and much more expensive ... i mean really paying 600$+ retail for a synthetic jacket?

fleece ... dont even get me started ... polartec is polartec ... doesnt matter if its walmart or dead bird ... when you charge a few hundred for a single polartec jacket .... welll ...

backpacks ... heavy, lot of new ones lack ice axe loops, expensive ... theres a reason why lot of people prefer live bird (osprey) over dead bird

climbing harness ... only place where its worth it

dead bird has been resting on its laurels for years ... i see absolutely no reason to pay retail for stuff that much more expensive than the competition, made in developing countries, yet behind the times and no better and sometimes worse than their competitors

the ONLY reason i buy it is that its often half price at the outlet store

why pay 350+ for a simple softshell jacket thats made in china?

if you want to spend moola ... buy westcomb ... awesome build quality, same fit as dead bird, made in vancouver bc, better materials (event)

Dually is hands down the best piece I have ever purchased from Arcteryx and was well worth the money (I got it on sale) for my trips to AK. I also like their Alpha LT jacket, and Gamma MX pants work super well, and Cierzo packs are nice. Find the stuff on sale and its not bad at all, Arcteryx fits me better then the Westcomb gear.

"they're behind the curve these days and all their gear has ben surpassed"

Seems to me Arcteryx, RAB and MTN Hardware have some of the most innovative, lwt and effective outdoor clothing currently available. Pays to shop price on them but also well worth the effort.

Not like I care what anyone else wears, 'cuz I don't.

Westcomb stuff SUCKS! Three of my friends bought Westcomb jackets and all three had to replace them within the year. eVent is a nice idea, but is so paper thin that it serves no function with respect to climbing equipment.

rab would disagree with you ... not that they make stuff for climbing

I got mine for 160 clams. Light nylon "track jacket"s from walmart may suffice in good weather at the crag , but I'm not even gonna consider taking one into the backcountry as it would not keep me dry, it will not offer me any insulation, and as I have considerable ape index, it will not fit.

I like my gamma mx hoodie. It fits well. The drop tail is handy as I bike a ton. It's durable, well made, really plush, and worth every penny. However, If I hadn't found it so cheap I would not own it. I no longer have access to a pro deal. I'll never pay more than 2 c-notes for any single piece of gear 'cept a tent or a warm bag. So I concur with the concencus regarding the MSR of dead bird stuff. Nonetheless, while fleece may be fleece, there's no reason to believe just any fleece is made or cut well or will endure years of wear. I'll bet what I paid for it that it's gonna outlast anything from walmart or addidas by at least a decade.

But yeah. 350 clams for a jacket? I wouldn't pay that much for a car!

Maybe they seriously changed it bc I.can't imagine how a light windbreaker

Could offer any warmth...so that leaves conductive heat loss and snow shedding

As. Its main feature and I can think of hundreds of jackets just as high quality

that stretch stop wind and shed snow..

So my question still remains: what does this jacket do that's so special compared to other coats?

Exactly what jackets are you comparing it against? Hooded or unhooded version?

You can buy a hoody for $25 at Costco that is very similar in look at feel. But I don't want to take that jacket out on the icefields mid winter.

Most of the major players now make something similar at a lower price point. For good reason as the materials used and fit aren't as good as Arcteryx. Add the knock offs like Costco and it might be hard to see the difference in the store if you don't care to look past the price tag.

I have lots of choices in clothing. I bought my first Hoody MX version in '03 or '04 and the jacket literally went on evey alpine climb i did until early last winter when I passed it on to a buddy in still decent condition and bought a new one.

Also on a side note, I've almost completely abandoned softshells

in favor of the new goretex proshell material. I've owned softshells from

Arctyrx since they hit the market in 1999 and love them (especialy powershield)

for their ability to fit and move gracefully shed snow and regulate heat output.

But once wet-and they do often-the benefit is lost. The new goretex seems to make up for the reason softshells were invented (lack of breathability) and is a safer bet since it will keep you dry

Exactly what jackets are you comparing it against? Hooded or unhooded version?

You can buy a hoody for $25 at Costco that is very similar in look at feel. But I don't want to take that jacket out on the icefields mid winter.

Most of the major players now make something similar at a lower price point. For good reason as the materials used and fit aren't as good as Arcteryx. Add the knock offs like Costco and it might be hard to see the difference in the store if you don't care to look past the price tag.

Is the hooded.more burly than the non hooded..I only saw the hooded

Also on a side note, I've almost completely abandoned softshells in favor of the new goretex proshell material.

And me with not a single peice of Gortex that I use in the mtns?

I want either stretch or insulation. All have to be breathable and still cut the wind. Last thing I require is 100% waterproof.

I've owned softshells from Arctyrx since they hit the market in 1999 and love them (especialy powershield)

for their ability to fit and move gracefully shed snow and regulate heat output.

The majority of the Gamma MX is made of Polartec Power Shield.

the goretex vs softshell opionion must be based off personal experience of severe downfalls of said material. you should really try the new proshell if you get a chance, it really makes up for the pitfalls that brought about the softshell revolution.

The gamma mx jacket I saw was not powershield or anything close, it was a featherweight jacket..thus the amazement that this garment would the a coveted winter piece. REI must have put the wrong label on. If it's anything like the Mammot Champ jacket or older Gamma LT, then I'm sure it's quality. If however, this suposed Gamma MX jacket is what you guys are talking about, you must be nuts or brainwashed by hype :)-

Gamma MX is no feather weight. It is heavy these days for what is available and offering similar protection. Few are more durable. Good winter shell...too warm for me during the summer months.

Gamma MX Hoody.

COP.jpg

Material:Polartec Power Shield, Schoeller Dynamic Waterproof Rating:Water resistant Core Venting:No Pockets:2 Hand, 2 chest, 1 arm Seam Taped:No Powder Skirt:No Hood:Yes Zip-in Compatibility:No Weight:21oz (595g) Recommended Use:Climbing, hiking, backpacking Manufacturer Warranty:Lifetime

Are you sure you're weren't in WalMart? I have an older Gamma MX, they are pretty sweet. In fact, some kid in skinny jeans and carefully messy hair asked me where I got it the other day.

When I wear it out, I'll get another. The fit is pretty nice, and agree with Dane, it isn't lightweight.

the goretex vs softshell opionion must be based off personal experience of severe downfalls of said material. you should really try the new proshell if you get a chance, it really makes up for the pitfalls that brought about the softshell revolution.

Wait till you try an eVent jacket. Rab makes the best. Westcomb blows goats.

Wait till you try an eVent jacket. Rab makes the best. Westcomb blows goats.

I bet Westcomb puts the zippers on the correct side.