--More NW Forest Pass Info--

Backcountry

I've rooted around a bit and finally found the letter of the law here's the link to it:

http://www.house.gov/resources/105cong/reports/105_a/lwcf65_.pdf

Start reading at page 25.

Some items of interest:

"(1) shall charge and collect fees for admission to the area for for the use of outdoor recreation sites, facilities, visitor cen-ters, equipment, and services by individuals and groups, or any combination thereof;"

"(5) may assess a fine of not more than $100 for any viola-tion of the authority to collect fees for admission to the area

or for the use of outdoor recreation sites, facilities, visitor cen-ters, equipment, and services."

I find the usage of the word recreation interesting...I've found no reference yet as to the claim that if you are using the site for other purposes--educational, religous, treaty rights, etc that you are exempt to pay the fee demo fee. In the Land and Water Conservation Act of 1965 there is reference to such, educational and treaty access at least, but in so far as religous uses I haven't read anything. Additionally how I am reading it, the fee demo supercedes those requirements.

From the House Appropriations site:

"Forest Service recreation use funding has been increased $10.5 million above the Administration request, and trail construction for recreation is $16 million above the request." This was for FY 2000. Notice is says INCREASE over the administartion requested amounts. I guess that this would be in addition to the $650 million already generated in the fee demo that provides for 100% of money generated to stay within that region....

So...the USFS gets the budget amount they request...an additional ~27 million dollars over that request...and in the fee demo the $650M averaged over the life of the fee demo too....

Anyone else wondering what is happening with the money???

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic