Helmets ?

kevbone

Do you were helmets when rock climbing (be honest)  

333 members have voted

1. 1. Do you were helmets when rock climbing (be honest)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

one of the few times i didn't i pile-drived my skull into an overhanging chunk of rock, leaving plenty of blood, skin n' hair all over the place :)

Same here. Pink Chalk knocked a rock down on me and it skimmed my head. A trip to the ER and two staples and I was fine. Could have been allot worse.

I always wear a helmet. Couple weeks ago Rick broke off a grapefruit sized rock from about 40 feet up out at Wishram crack climbing, and it impacted me squarely in the top of the helmet. didn't even faze me. I can't imagine what would have happened it i didn't have a helmet on, but I dont think I'd be typing this right now...

Yes, always, unless I forget to bring one...

Steve/Boner, you should think about climbing with partners that are not always throwing rocks down at you. Or, at least stop provoking them to do so... :P

Or at least climb places that have solid rock!

I'm in the most of the time camp, pretty much for anything except top roping or following single pitch routes. I know a few too many people with really close calls in lead falls, funny things can happen very quickly, and head injuries can be really serious.

It's been a tough conversion, as I climbed rock for years and years without one, I always seemed to bang my head more wearing the clunky things alpine climbing, and anything more than a bandanna or Whillans style cap was just too uncool. However, modern light helmets are much more comfortable than the old brain buckets and I've come to realize I was never cool in the first place. :laf:

I almost never wear one when I'm clipping bolts, but I consider the helmet an essential piece of the gear plugging uniform-- I kinda feel naked with out it. Of course I realize this makes no sense. Irrational is the climber who ascends Moonshine, abseils, takes off the helmet, and gets on Wedding Day. So it goes.

Usually just on R/X rated FAs, when aiding, and occasionally on busy weekends - probably 5% of the time. Probably could stand to wear it more often, but in general can't stand wearing them.

made my heart all warm n' fuzzy inside to be looking down on your unarmored head while juggling a hammer and 10 pounds of nails 50 feet above you the other week :)

I noticed that my partner and I were about the only ones wearing helmets at the Lower Town Wall in Index this Saturday.

I always wear mine. It's cheap insurance.

If my partner wants to go without one on lead, it's their call. But I believe that it's good etiquette to always wear one when belaying. You've got somebody's life in your hands.

Usually just on R/X rated FAs, when aiding, and occasionally on busy weekends - probably 5% of the time. Probably could stand to wear it more often, but in general can't stand wearing them.

made my heart all warm n' fuzzy inside to be looking down on your unarmored head while juggling a hammer and 10 pounds of nails 50 feet above you the other week :)

Yep, forgot it that day, meant to wear it.

My partners would make fun of me for wearing a helmet at Smith Rock. One of the few times I forgot to wear a helmet I ended up taking a pretty nasty leader fall. I now have a big scar and permanent brain damage to remind me to wear one.