R.I.P. Dallas

ketch

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My heart is heavy hearing the news... Dallas was such an inspiration; a local pioneer, and an absolute mentor to so many of us.

I'm comforted thinking that he was in the penultimate "church" when it was time to meet his maker...

Thoughts, prayers, and deep condolences to his family and friends.

It is hard to find words to describe the loss that myself and so many people are feeling right now, I do not think these words exist.

Dallas taught me so many things about life and about climbing. He was my mentor, together we shared over 100 summits together over the last 15 years. I did not have a clue about alpinism until I hooked up with Dallas.

No one moved through the mountains like Dallas Kloke. He passed on his skills through example, there was no ego or spray with Dallas, he was what a climber should be. Never afraid to take the sharp end and get things done, these are skills that only a lifetime of pushing hard in the North Cascades can teach you. Dallas Kloke was the man.

As devastated as I am at this loss I am also honored to have been with him on his last day in the mountains. My heart goes out to his family and all the great friends he leaves behind. Thanks to the compassion and the professionalism of the Whatcom County sheriffs department and the Whatcom and Skagit county SAR.

The mountains will never be the same without you Dallas.

It is hard to find words to describe the loss that myself and so many people are feeling right now, I do not think these words exist.

Dallas taught me so many things about life and about climbing. He was my mentor, together we shared over 100 summits together over the last 15 years. I did not have a clue about alpinism until I hooked up with Dallas.

No one moved through the mountains like Dallas Kloke. He passed on his skills through example, there was no ego or spray with Dallas, he was what a climber should be. Never afraid to take the sharp end and get things done, these are skills that only a lifetime of pushing hard in the North Cascades can teach you. Dallas Kloke was the man.

As devastated as I am at this loss I am also honored to have been with him on his last day in the mountains. My heart goes out to his family and all the great friends he leaves behind. Thanks to the compassion and the professionalism of the Whatcom County sheriffs department and the Whatcom and Skagit county SAR.

I think you put it best to all of us who were lucky enough to have climbed/scrubbed routes/explored and camped with Dallas.

At the request of a few folks, I'm going to post up a bunch more photos of Dallas, not all by me.

Dallas, Brooks, and myself went up Sauk Mountain this past winter:

IMG_2103.JPG

Gotta love the woolen knickers!

IMG_2138.JPG

Scott, Dallas and myself did the Kangaroo Temple, Half Moon,and Wallaby link-up last fall:

IMG_1551.JPG

IMG_1494.JPG

IMG_1568.JPG

IMG_1529.JPG

IMG_1524.JPG

Dallas climbed Boston Peak this summer with Jill (like J'Berg, he probably had climbed it 7 times or some crazy number), she passed along a few photos:

0227.JPG

0285.JPG

0104.JPG

0167.JPG

Some photos from Scott:

fall_trip_064.JPG

East_Couloir_010.JPG

00190022.JPG

Dallas was THE MAN!

Really sad news.

I last saw Dallas several years ago when he came down to Tuolumne with C4C. My old climbing partner, Bud Miller was there, too. Really inspirational to see those guys (then 60 something) still out and climbing and giving to the community.

Kloke was amazingly fit-- he ran Lembert Dome each evening to finish off the day's climbing. He seized every opportunity to peel off his shirt and flash the six-pack. And those short track shorts left nothing to the imagination.

A year or two later, a partner and I did an obscure and dicey FA on an obscure peak on the east side. When we got to the top, the last entry in the summit book was "Dallas Kloke."

RIP.

Edited by klk

Well said Scott. Dallas was a friend and mentor, and will be greatly missed. Dallas was the climber that I aspired to be; capable, adept, and without ego. Dallas enjoyed introducing his passion for climbing to others; he was known for lending a hand to all on Mt Erie, and would invite anyone who was keen on his alpine adventures. Dallas was affectionately known as the "Energizer Bunny". On many alpine routes, all of us 25 years and more his junior would be sitting around catching our breath when the question would be asked, "Where's Dallas?" One only had to look toward the summit for the answer.

Always positive, always extremely saavy, Dallas was the consumate partner. One amazing fact about Dallas was that in his over 50 years of climbing, he never had an unplanned bivy. He would always take the lead on the pitches that no one else wanted, and had a knack for getting it done.

The mountains will not be the same; climbing for me will not be the same. I was lucky to know Dallas as a friend, and feel honored to be his climbing partner.

A few pictures from recent climbs:

Minuteman_007.jpg

Dallas on the sharp end on the Minuteman

East_Couloir_0101.jpg

Dallas getting ready to go on Liberty Bell

050.JPG

Bailing off of the Torment-Forbidden Traverse

Blackbeard_08_019.jpg

Blackbeard Peak

Chair_Peak_09_012.jpg

On the sharp end again on Chair Peak

Chair_Peak_09_004.jpg

Another approach

J-berg_Rainier_003.jpg

J-Berg. Rockfall had broken my finger in the CJ couloir two years prior, and I was still somewhat freaked by the place. Dallas got me up it though, for his seventh summit of the peak.

J-berg_Rainier_029.jpg

J-Berg

Index_0111.jpg

Index, North Peak

I met Dallas one time, about 1993. It was at Washington pass. I was at the start of the Becky route on Liberty and this guy came hauling ass up the approach, he was a couple hundred yards ahead of his 3 partners who were all younger. We all summited Liberty and car camped that night at the rest area in the rain, having a party under a tarp. The next day we all hiked in to Kangaroo temple and climbed that and Shark Fin. He was a really strong climber and a really nice guy. I was a total stranger but he let me climb with his group anyway, it was like I didn't even have to ask.

RIP fellow climber

I never had the privelage to enjoy time in the mountains with Dallas Kloke but I spent 9 months learning math from him in high school and was very shocked to hear about him passing away in a climbing accident.

The one thing that really stuck with me from high school in the 13 years since is a single caution that I learned from Dallas:

"There are bold mountaineers and there are old mountaineers but there are no old and bold mountaineers."

It sounds like I have missed out on a lot of other wisdom from him outside of the classroom. He will be missed by all.

I met Dallas years ago when i was just a young climber learning my way. He came popping up right next to us as i was leading my first trad routes at Mt Erie. He sat with us, rapped a while, showed us all his sketches and offered tons of beta. Then Got to work with him and Rick Lipke with Bham and Skagit Mountain Rescue.

Thank you for everything Dallas, Climb on Brother, Climb on.

I knew Dallas since the early 90s and he was always a great inspiration and mentor. His positive influence touched many people and not only climbers. He always had a desire to give back all that he so deeply enjoyed to everyone he met and everyplace he loved. Beta on routes, excellent climbing partner, cleaning the crags, replacing old bolts, guiding newcomers, writing guidebooks, leading and coaching outings...this man did it all and in many ways is greatly respected as one of the great elders that we all inspire to be someday. His energy was contagious and his generosity in sharing his experience and knowledge will live on forever in many of our hearts. He will be missed but never forgotten.