Place Names

Dan_Harris

I heard a radio ad today that used strange place names of real places, like Deadhorse, AK. It got me to thinking about other strange names. Here in CA some do not seem strange until you translate to english, like Manteca (Lard) and Maricopa (Moth). Any others out there? I live in Exit. grin.gif" border="0

[ 01-14-2002: Message edited by: Dan Harris ]

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Howz about Walla Walla, Washington? (Water water, as I understand it, from the language of some local, early, indigenous inhabitants). It also means: Home of the State's worst (convicted) criminal offenders. This meaning, of course, presupposes the membership of this group. rolleyes.gif" border="0

quote:

Originally posted by Dan Harris:
I heard a radio ad today that used strange place names of real places, like Deadhorse, AK. It got me to thinking about other strange names. Here in CA some do not seem strange until you translate to english, like Manteca (Lard) and Maricopa (Moth). Any others out there? I live in Exit.
grin.gif" border="0

If Maricopa is Moth, what then is Ventucopa?

quote:

Originally posted by Dan Harris:
Truth or Consequences, New MexicoJoe, Montanaand at the base of Mount Shasta, Weed
[Wazzup]

Joe Montana was originally named something else that I can't remember not too long ago, but the town decided to change its name in honor of ol' Joe. Probably in a lame attempt to get tourism or something. Buncho lemmings, if you ask me!