Picks? I could use your help........

Dane

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah, Tradman's picks from '07 that were replaced on warrenty by Belcourt. Tradman himself and the picks that "never touched rock".

BrokenpicBD.jpg

If you want more info on a dead horse look here.

http://www.gravsports-ice.com/icethreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=6611&page=1

I was looking for picks that had touched a lot of rock, enough to wear them out. Petzl and BD..seen both totally trashed on mixed but looking for documentation and photos.

More like this...after 29 pitches of Alaskan granite and mixed.

IMG_0428.jpg

Photo by Graham Zimmerman...more here:

http://huntingtonsouthface.blogspot.com/

Yup, that's them (him?) Not sure that I'd say that issue is a dead horse unless unless you follow his lead and switch to Quarks.

Anyway, although implied, your op did not really specify rock usage. I've had a pick almost trashed after loaning a tool for one pitch on thin ice. :mad: Don't have any good pick pics handy at the moment, and wouldn't let mine get as bad as the one you show! :o

Edited by NYice

Dead horse? Ya, at least for me and a gazzillion others who use BD tools and have good luck with them. Before posting stuff you have little clue on, it might help to read the link on Will's web site and find out just how old those particular BD picks are and what has been done in the past 5 years by BD to improve their picks.

BD has also intentionally kept the same pick/head interface in use for 20+ years now. Which means any yahoo can bolt up a 20 year old, well worn pick, break it and claim foul. Or much easier than actually climbing, just post someone's old picture to imply the same.

Petzl on the other hand eliminates the idiot factor by changing head and pick designs on an pretty regular, 4 or 5 year basis.

Not so easily clear cut when you actually know the details on both major manufactures.

You are new here, welcome. But how about staying on topic now?

I am looking for specific info based on personal use of well worn picks.

Good look at a well worn set of Quarks in the gallery here:

http://www.shiningwall.com/en/episode1_en.htm#

Thanks Fargo! One route 4 picks? Multiple routes with 4 picks?

Cool looking mtn and nice write up on your new route.

Reason I am asking is I am thinking about making a pick so hard it can't easily be sharpened, which also means it can't easily be dulled.

Thanks for the warm welcome. How is it that I'm off topic? I must be soo clueless about the topic that the broken pick issue was the first thing to come to mind when I read your post. Note that I did not claim that the picture was mine, it had copyright info right on in and it was linked to it's owner.

Am also well aware of periodic Petzl design changes. My gear shop claims that the word from Petzl is that previous model picks will continue to be available. Granted that they could also be selling me a bill of goods but wouldn't they rather be selling me picks?

I have nothing against BD. You'll have to pry my Sabertooths and c3's from my cold dead fingers (toes?), but with all due respect to Will and you, I just don't really care for their ice tools. But that's just me.

Reason I am asking is I am thinking about making a pick so hard it can't easily be sharpened, which also means it can't easily be dulled.

If you can pull that off w/o having them be brittle, put me down for 4. Be glad to post some pictures when I get a chance.

Dane, if you make said picks, I'd love to guinea pig them with/for you. I have BD tools. I think Rafael would say same. He has Nomics.

The worst pick damage I've done is about -25C in the rockies. Broke a number in 1 pitch at Louise Falls leading the thin right side under the big roof. Was really inopportune for both to break on same pitch leading :|

Thanks Alex. I already make a BD pick that is very hard to break. They make a great mixed or waterfall pick. What I working on now are not for one or two pitch stuff but more appropriate for really big mixed routes in the great ranges in a very lwt style.

As we have gotten a few seasons on what were are producing now I am looking at another step up in durability both for materials and design.

When I have my home computer on the 'net I will upload some of the used picks I have from the last few years, Dane. My Astros from our attempt on Boobquake/Undertow show the typical type of wear from alpine mixed on limestone. I've actually chipped two of them in an odd way.

I am stoked that you're thinking asbout producing a proper "Alaska" type pick as I've been thinking about the need for one. Hopefully you're it for making for Petzl tools!