Librul victories

tvashtarkatena

Past tense. You certainly wouldn't vote for him now, I'd wager.

Dood, I'M a libertarian...a civil libertarian, the REAL kind.

You're a property/gun rights fetishist...the 'modern' definition of libertarian. Police state? No problem to you folks, as long as you can bulldoze the back forty without a permit.

Wrong.

I'm the kind who thinks gov't should stay out of your lives as much as possible and not try to run large swaths of the economy. Legalize drugs. Keep the state out of marriage.

But I am not the kind that thinks we need to, say, abolish the FDA.

I don't really recall focusing too much energy on gun rights.

Pretty much right in step with the modern Democratic ticket...and in direct opposition to the teabaggers.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a libertarian extremist, not a libtard. Ask j_b.

What would call someone who believes that the only alternative to unfettered capitalsim is state capitalism? What would you call someone who systematically denies the social contract and the role of governmental institutions? etc ..

I'm a libertarian extremist, not a libtard. Ask j_b.

What would call someone who believes that the only alternative to unfettered capitalsim is state capitalism? What would you call someone who systematically denies the social contract and the role of governmental institutions? etc ..

KKK is like a thermostat with two settings: OFF and BOILING

Age and experience will hopefully reveal the possibility of some inbetween settings....

Edited by tvashtarkatena

BTW, I just joined the ACLU's new 2nd Amendment Policy Committee LOL.

True story.

Sweet. It should give you lots of time to insult those who don't agree with you, like all of the intolerants on this thread.

Actually, I was invited to join based on past participation in various debates at our board meetings. The committee chair is an excellent constitutional law professor who is very well versed on the subject from a variety of angles - the main reason I'm interested. It's not a topic which invokes much passion in me otherwise.

The board is hardly monolithic on the issue. In our discussions so far, you hear a wide range of viewpoints as to what our policy should be - pretty much a mirror image of the national debate - with your brand of kookiness removed, of course. We don't generally go for the kooky thing.

Oh, the world is so rarely what it seems.

Join the debate? Hardly. The purpose of our committee is to determine whether or not our Washington State chapter's existing 2nd amendment policy should change or not. We are free to differ from our national policy, BTW. In any case, it's a very limited goal. Our organization does not intend to expend any resources on 2nd amendment issues one way or the other. We've got more important fish to fry with our limited money and manpower.

One thing we will discuss, however, is the basis by which we abandon support for the 2nd Amendment in favor of focusing on others we consider more central and universal to civil liberties worldwide (personal gun ownership clearly NOT being central to basic civil liberties, considering that most free, enlightened societies do not allow it, with no ill effect). I've argued that we should not promote civil liberties that directly promote to right to harm another human being, that our organization should be an explicitly non-violent one.

Your post reveals that you, who apparently feels much stronger about the issue than do I, don't really understand the true significance, and lack thereof, of the recent SC decisions. From a practical standpoint, they are largely irrelevant. 48 states already grant the right to own firearms for personal protection.

From a constitutional standpoint, however, these decisions are much more significant. You'd have to understand the concept and precedence of 14th amendment pass-through and all that. This isn't the forum for such an involved topic, however.

One thing that all constitutional scholars agree on: the wording the 2nd amendment is laughably ambiguous and just plain poor.

Edited by tvashtarkatena