Nano Puff Worth it?

Dhamma

Whos got one, what do you wear it for? My gear whoreness just forced me to pick up a new one for 100 bucks online. Going to use it as a warm winter layer instead of a fleece, but trying to find other uses.

Far as outerwear, I already have:

Hooded patagucc down sweater for light belay duty.

marmot windshirt

pata ascentionist

pata r1 hoody

FF volant

where does the nano puff fit in for you?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I like it: I stuff it into its pocket and clip it to my harness for belaying on cool, windy days. Combined with a wool hat that I put in a pocket, it provides enough warmth to stave off hypothermia when it's chilly out.

Since it packs down and has a clipping point, it reduces my need to bring a pack on long routes - I take the nano puff, a hat, clip a water bottle to a gear loop, and put a few bars in my pocket and I'm good for many hours.

I also use it as a layer in the winter.

cons: too slippery and fragile to give much confidence when climbing chimneys.

Here's my anectodtal experience; Late january running to get to the verizon store to replace my phone before they closed. Turning a corner in the parking lot I slipped on black ice. Wham, down! Anywho, ripped a big fucking gash in my pants, bleeding like a stuck pig I freaked because I just got the pullover. Looked at my throbbing elbow, because I knew I smacked on the asphalt, and there was one small imperceptible snag on the thing. That's it. I landed pretty square on my side I think it was a pretty even force distribution with some sliding involved. I would and will buy another. I love it.

Great layer. Almost snagged one, but found an Arcteryx Atom LT instead (1 oz heavier, but much sturdier fabric) for a great deal. Ultraight compressible layers (i.e. the Theta LT or Nanopuff) have completely replaced fleeces in my technical wear. My fleeces sit unused and neglected in my closet. They're heavier and less compressible. Maybe a bit better breathability, but that's it.

The Nanopuff would mostly be an under-shell layer for me in particularly cold weather. My "action suit" for ice climbing in anywhere from 15-35 degrees is a baselayer (weight varies by expected temps and anticiapated sun exposure), R1 hoody, and Norrona Lofoten softshell. If it gets colder (0-15 degrees), I would layer the Nanopuff underneath. My heavier belay jacket (Mammut Stratus) hangs in a stuffsack off my harness for belaying and drying out. Below zero and I'll wear the belay jacket when I'm climbing. It's a rare day that I'll still be climbing out below zero. The barfies just get too damn painful.

The other primary use for my Theta LT is late-season multipitch trad. If I get caught out after dark and the mercury drops, I'm gonna be glad I have that 10 oz of warmth hanging off my harness. Fleeces (and my belay jacket) were always much too bulky to bring normally, so I would just head up and hope for the best. The Nanopuff would only come out if I'm in a shitty situation anyway, so I'm less concerned about my jacket than I am about hypothermia in a hanging belay. Otherwise, it wouldn't really come out of its stuffsack.

Oh, and no need to post the same question across multiple forums. You'll get a satisfactory answer, I promise.

Edited by Jon H

where does the nano puff fit in for you?

ITs light and small, very windproof not all that waterproof but will shed light mist or snow.

I can pack it in my day pack with a light shell and have a perfect combo. Plus the clip on works well when you are sharing one pack then you can wear it when you are done your lead.

Burly enough to survive as an outer piece while climbing but risky if you were doing alot of chimneying. However mine survived a month long climbing trip to the dolomites which can have very rough rock.

All I got was a few scratches no rips