HEXES

mzvarner

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
Item on British Mountaineering Council Web site suggests they are superior to cams in iced cracks.

I used a borrowed hex only once on (summery) lead, and was very glad to have it.

Cheap too. Like Wal-Mart pup-tent, very effective in correct circumstance.

:tup::tup:

They are cheap and you can beat them into snowy/icy/muddy cracks.

Plus they are light.

I have a set of DMM torque nuts that are unquestionably the best hexes on the market. Aside from the extendable sling, the shape is awesome and they are well sized.

The disadvantage of slung hexes vs stiff things like wired nuts or cams is that they are difficult to set at arm's length. However, I set most of my passive pro at chest height, so no big deal.

The extendable sling is great and just the right length. I have never clipped a draw into these hexes

Useful exactly where cams aren't. Can be very secure in placements where a cam is at risk of walking & getting tipped out. Good supplement or replacement for bigger cams unless you need the big gear for splitter/parallel-sided/minimally featured crack. Probably more useful on blocky choss route than at Washington Pass.

I always climb with the top 3 Wild Country curve hexes, and have placed them on everything up to overhanging 10a's. IMHO good hex placements are very confidence inspiring! For alpine I'm partial to them as I find them more flexible than cams in many ways. Good for all those odd pods, converging cracks, endless splitter's like outer space.