• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
kukuzka1

mt adams accident

wow, gnar, I think I remember them hiking in while I was on my way out. Condolences dude. Honor that he died doing what he loved with someone he cared for.

That article mentions the "south route", but is there any terrain steep enough to cause a bad fall on that standard route? Perhaps wandered over something steep in poor visibility? My condolences to the friends and family of the deceased. R.I.P. :brew:

The south side of Adams has lured several people into tragedies like this, especially in late season. Featureless terrain that easily confuses when the clouds come in--worse than the Muir snowfield even. Very sad.

That article mentions the "south route", but is there any terrain steep enough to cause a bad fall on that standard route? Perhaps wandered over something steep in poor visibility? My condolences to the friends and family of the deceased. R.I.P. :brew:
In short, yes. I did that route once and it was iced up late season and very dangerous.

Perhaps wandered over something steep in poor visibility?

Skier's right and below the lunch counter there are several steep gullies with rock at the bottom in late season. Easy to see how someone coming down in poor visibility could get into one of these. Very sad indeed.

Mt_Adams_south_gullies.jpg

Edited by pcg

Adams almost killed me[more like my own stupidity/lack of knowlege]on one of my first summits ever[1990] car to summit in one day, but only drank 3/4 qrt h2o and not enough sunscreen. blister type burns on face. Im pretty sure I hade HACE. crawled last 30 ft to summit.learned alot that trip. adams is a hulking mountain with some good routes, And just high enough to get some altitude problems. to bad about the death.RIP

Indeed the father and son team ended up to far west of the south climb during the descent. One false turn near the false summit can easilly take you down Avalanche Glacier

There is some seriously steep terrain over that way, both snow and rock.

My condolences to the family, particularly the son. While it would be tough enough to loose your climbing partner, I cannot comprehend the difficulties in loosing your father at the same time.

there was definitely a few rock patches at the bottom of all areas where one might possibly slip and slide down (on south climb). How easy is it to get distracted and catch a crampon on your pantleg. We've all climbed in the "just don't fall" terrain... Just unfortunate.

Even on the standard "South Climb" up Suksdorf Ridge, it's possible to take a long slide in the right conditions. In November two years ago, I watched a ski partner take a slide/tumble of nearly 1000 v.f. on low-angled boilerplate south of Pikers Peak. He was essentially unscathed, but it could have gone very differently. Even the friendliest of mountains can have uncompromising teeth.

I can only try to imagine how the son and family must feel this week. Many, many condolences.

It's easy to do, I went up there one Winter and we skied wayyyyyy up the snowed in road to the Avalanche Glacier route. We bivied at the base whereupon it started to snow, despite the weatherfolks earlier predictions of a little weather, there was a lot of it. It snowed a couple feet or so in the next 2 or 3 days with the usual screaming winds so we hung out and waited, happy just to be out where things are real. Thinking anything named Avalanche glacier should be avoided after this kind of storm, it was still foggy and we were out of time as well, we finally gave up and skied out. Figuring it would just be a nice ski trip.

I had these shitty-assed no-edge cheapo cross country skis (light and phat) which were doing great in the deep snow...till I hit a wind blown patch which my smarter buddy had looked at and already decided to go way down/around and then back up. I figured a direct line was the best way to go and being lazy and or loving a challenge - I went for it. Hit the hard ice beyond the hardpack @ half way out of a steep slope and except for lots of luck: real bad things might have happened. Probably should have happened. There were a few little rocks I hit hard on the fall as I zinged down the slope, head first.... no helmet of course - but fortunately the bottom of this slope was the recent fluffy snow all piled up and it cushioned me as I whumped into it. A bit wiser, older, and more cautious.

It can happen to anyone. From the news stories, this accident sounded especially tough on the son, and my heart goes out to them all.

Many climbers are turning right too early after summitting especially in bad conditions and descending the SW chutes which are very steep 45 degrees. This can be dangerous if not careful especially if think it's South route and begin to glissade or don't self arrest in a fall. I feel they should have a warning at ranger station and in description of climb. 

So did he get caught in a avalanche, or took a slide down the SW chute? I thought I read early on it was a avalanche. Been up Adams several times.  Always fun trips. Many sad stories from this mountain

Edited by steelhead253

Two options what might have happened: took a fall or uncontrollable glissading. Yakima Sheriff’s report:

3682AB21-ECCA-4DC2-8B73-8E345BE96A3A.jpeg

Edited by Peter Bielek