You spray, you pay??

CascadeClimber

Just noticed this online:

Woman Sued Over Chat Room Criticism

LAWRENCEVILLE, Ga. (AP) - The Atlanta Humane Society has filed a $75,000 defamation lawsuit against a woman who called its executive director ``Mr. Kill'' in an Internet chat room.

Kathi Mills, 31, criticized Bill Garrett after a television station reported that the society was killing animals without really trying to find them homes.

Mills wrote in a Yahoo chat room that she was withdrawing her support from the society until it hires ``a leader who does not delight in slaughtering pets for fun and profit.''

According to the lawsuit, Mills also said: ``Bill Garrett is not worthy to lick the dog or cat poop off our shoes. He is evil and it is time for the Atlanta rescue community to unite in ending his long and tragic career.''

Mills, who runs an animal advocacy Web site from her home, said her comments were harsh but are protected by the Constitution.

``The fundamental issue here is that I was criticizing (Garrett's) performance, and the First Amendment guarantees I can do this,'' she said. ``They picked the wrong person. I'm prepared to fight it all the way.''

Garrett's attorney, Edward Greenblatt, said the comments were untrue and malicious.

``I'm a strong believer in the freedom of speech, but it does have its limitation,'' Greenblatt said.

http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/ap/20020109/tc/humane_society_lawsuit_1.html

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to clarify- I posted it purely for our entertainment.

It has to be the most ridiculous, frivilous lawsuit I've ever heard of. The Humane Society and their attorney should be ashamed of themselves and I hope the judge laughs them out of the courtroom.

But if they win, I preactively retract everything I said about the Mountaineers.

wink.gif" border="0

Anti-gonner-izer, perhaps before you start flailing around in a self-righteous misogynistic fit, perhaps you should read it again. I think the lawsuit is being brought against her, not by her. But if it makes you feel good, wind it up. Keeping in mind you look a little like the guy dancing by himself. Or talking to Elvis.

quote:

Originally posted by panther:
I can vouch for that. These people fall into 2 categories down here. Redneck and Yuppie. Learn to swim.

Don't forget the all too common "redneck yuppie" and the elusive "damn yankee", which btw Panther you will be tagged, regardless of where you're from unless it's MS/AL/KY/WV/VA/TN/GA/SC/NC/LA/TX/AR. Fla even counts as "yankee".

Yo strickman!

Coloradoans have exempted status from Yankeedom since we didn't even exist when those little hostilities transpired. We consider ourselves to be somewhat above the NE and the SE anyway. Like they say...we piss on all of you from a considerable height! And besides my family is German and we made the Souths little transgression little silly and apathetic.

Ich Deine!

Panther

Wow, this is one of those "screw 'em both" stories. Kind of like the .50cal Makaw(sp?) Indian Whale Harpooners versus the Kooky Sea Shepard group....hmmmm....whom to hate the most? Better to just let them "have at" eachother.

The psycho lady has a point about free speech though. I'm so fuckin' tired of hearing the thought police say, "even free speech has limits".They sound like big bro to me.