The rhyme and reason behind falcon closures?

dberdinka

if it were onsight that might be something. solo blownout and i won't post for 6 months, solo BSS and i won't post for a year, solo jensens ridge and i won't ever again post about beacon again.

CYA! :wave: As he just free-soloed Blownout and free solo/downclimbed Jill's Thrill the other day, can we assume you're out of here for 6 months Andrew?

Give you time to go climb something. I heard from your protege just yesterday or maybe it was this morning, King Blacktard, that he climbed a route in the Black Canyon while you were sleeping or wanking or what ever old person moves you were doing. :P

i let you know when kingbetards parents let me move in with them. i thought the deal was naked, and i won't post on beacon ever again. soloing blownout is badass nate, and down climbing jill's :shock: you have my respect, not like u need my respect.

and anyway, ur kingbetards protege. i've never been a very good climber, i just like hangin in the trees with my buddies, that is, when i'm not in a cloud of paint.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wait a Paonia minute here...are you saying now that he has to be Naked? If he does it with shoes, you'll discount or disqualify the free-solo? Cause he might be about ready to do it after all this old man dribbling we've produced here has about sent all the normal folks to the loony bin. Maybe it was the other Nate.

How about if I do it, naked but with shoes (and tape). Wrinkly old man style. 2 years of silence? Original route to access the steep upper dihedral, not the direct start past the pins. No downclimbing Jill's unroped either....that's freaking bad-assed.

I'd just want time to go make sure I had it wired.

• 8 months later...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1394945/The-green-killer-Scores-protected-golden-eagles-dying-colliding-wind-turbines.html

"The green killer: Scores of protected golden eagles dying after colliding with wind turbines

By David Gardner

6th June 2011

California's attempts to switch to green energy have inadvertently put the survival of the state’s golden eagles at risk.

Scores of the protected birds have been dying each year after colliding with the blades of about 5,000 wind turbines.

Now the drive for renewable power sources, such as wind and the sun, being promoted by President Obama and state Governor Jerry Brown has raised fears that the number of newborn golden eagles may not be able to keep pace with the number of turbine fatalities.

The death count along the ridgelines of the Bay Area’s Altamount Pass Wind Resource Area has averaged 67 a year for three decades.

The 200ft high turbines, which have been operating since the 1980s, lie in the heart of the grassy canyons that are home to one of the highest densities of nesting golden eagles in the US.

‘It would take 167 pairs of local nesting golden eagles to produce enough young to compensate for their mortality rate related to wind energy production,’ field biologist Doug Bell, manager of East Bay Regional Park District's wildlife programme, told the Los Angeles Times. ‘We only have 60 pairs,’ he added.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1394945/The-green-killer-Scores-protected-golden-eagles-dying-colliding-wind-turbines.html#ixzz1ObAy0oir"

why do climbers have such a hard time with bird closures?

I say move on, climb another rock.. its only temporary.

If mad, remember, the peregrine closures are for our own safety as well as the falcons....

-going climbing.

Eagles are not the only bird that is getting killed by wind turbines. Unfortunatly there is a large contingent of people building wind turbines who are doing what they can to make the numbers of bird kills look much lower than they are. Green energy is great, but like all other things we really need to pause and think about the consequenses before we continue to line every ridgetop in eastern WA with them.

As far as bird closures go, I think there were less than 10 climbing areas in the pacific northwest that had any type of nesting birds associated with them, of those only a few had any impact on climbers this year. Its just not that big of a deal to climb at another crag.

I visited one of the nests a few weeks ago and have some photos here.

http://alasdairturner.blogspot.com/2011/05/this-years-eagle-nest.html