[TR] Maximum Impact Climbing - 8/28/2010

tvashtarkatena

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

then there's this story from MT, which didn't work out so well for the trundler's in question:

September 25, 1994, a Butte climber named Tony Rich was killed not far from where Earnest Bruffey landed decades earlier. Rich died under a cascade of huge boulders while ascending Granite Peak by way of the snow-covered north face. His climbing partner, Fred Donich of Ennis, said that the two frantically tried to dig themselves into the snow in hopes that the rocks might skid over them. But Rich’s helmeted head was crushed by a truck-sized boulder that rolled down from the summit above. An investigation followed, and ultimately three young climbers who were on the peak above Rich and Donich were charged with negligent endangerment relating to the incident. Evidence indicated the threesome had pushed tons of rocks and debris off the summit without knowing there were climbers below. Each defendant ultimately pled guilty to misdemeanor charges.

Oh, trust me Ivan, not killjoys at all LOL

Expected more of the usual assclowns, KKubed was a given, but still a decent turn out.

The trundling was particularly good on this mountain, but it didn't hold a roman candle to the fuel canisters we detonated in the old campfire the night before. They went up like mini IEDs. No film, though. You Mountie Trip Leaders out there'll have to wait till next time to opine on that.

then there's this story from MT, which didn't work out so well for the trundler's in question:

September 25, 1994, a Butte climber named Tony Rich was killed not far from where Earnest Bruffey landed decades earlier. Rich died under a cascade of huge boulders while ascending Granite Peak by way of the snow-covered north face. His climbing partner, Fred Donich of Ennis, said that the two frantically tried to dig themselves into the snow in hopes that the rocks might skid over them. But Rich’s helmeted head was crushed by a truck-sized boulder that rolled down from the summit above. An investigation followed, and ultimately three young climbers who were on the peak above Rich and Donich were charged with negligent endangerment relating to the incident. Evidence indicated the threesome had pushed tons of rocks and debris off the summit without knowing there were climbers below. Each defendant ultimately pled guilty to misdemeanor charges.

It's my understanding that trundling is illegal in Montana now.

Trundling is a necessary survival skill on any shitty route you plan to reverse. What you don't remove will be waiting to remove you on the way down. Its also very, very satisfying, especially when digitally memorialized. The best things in life truly are free. We are very diligent in making our shittiest routes slightly less shitty for those who, inexplicably, choose to follow. We can't legally own a mini gun, so I ask: what choice do we have?

We practice this skill often and get out a lot, so some of you may to wish to move to a safer state, such as Montana, which affords the additional benefit of looking the other way regarding certain cross species liaisons.

It is true that, given this mountain's high popularity, particularly the gully in question, and full to bursting parking lot, we should both be severely punished...preferably while tied up.

God created boulders, mountains, gravity, and digital cameras for a reason. I refuse to believe it's all random and meaningless.

might be true, but then by that logic he woulda created mondays n' fairweather n' rain on weekends too - that shit don't balance out, see?

the sound of crashing boulders n' smell of gunsmoke always makes me think of god

probably why i don't dig trundling all that much, that n' i'm a moral coward :)