[TR] Mount Hood SS 09-04-2010

Barefooter

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, It's funny how sometimes bad things only happen to OTHER people. So many, many times, we are just lucky.

But, it looks like you guys had a great time, though.

I'm curious: Did you place any protection when you were roped up on that frozen snow?

Edited by rob

from the pictures nobody has any pickets, they just roped up so that they'd all die together if a mini-fridge rock decided to make their acquaintance.

this quote from the gallery is pretty rich:

"Enjoying Mount Hood summit just by ourselves,

incredibly there were no more climbing parties on the summit that day

( Mt. Hood is the most frequently climbed glaciated peak in North America )"

The cute kids in the other galleries on picasa sure give me pause. The boots are all rental, I do have to wonder what they told the rental company (i think its REI but i dont know never rented) they were climbing/why no helmets if renting cramps and boots. I am little more than a newbie climber myself, but i have the distinct impression that naive successes like this can be detrimental to one's climbing perspective. I'm sure they're planning to scramble rainier with 10m of rope in early november.

gently, people, gently :)

i've sure done dumb things on that there hill - first time i ever glissaded was below crater rock - w/ crampons on and ski-poles instead of axe for the brake i made it all of 5 feet before becoming a sad lump of catapulting shame - mountains seem to let you fuck up once or twice.... :)

It looks like you guys made it to the false summit and the true one being to the east along the summit ridge (not seen in this photo).

Nice work anyway!

Yeah, we knew it was not the real summit but we were quite happy with the false one too :-)

We were in a hurry to get down before it gets too warm and it paid off well, there was no rockfall at all that early.

The boots are all rental, I do have to wonder what they told the rental company (i think its REI but i dont know never rented) they were climbing/why no helmets if renting cramps and boots. I am little more than a newbie climber myself, but i have the distinct impression that naive successes like this can be detrimental to one's climbing perspective. I'm sure they're planning to scramble rainier with 10m of rope in early november.

Water, the reason I posted here is to report the current conditions of the route for other people interested in trying to do an off season climb. Please Judge Not Lest Ye Be Judged.

Thanks everyone else for a good feedback.

The boots are all rental, I do have to wonder what they told the rental company (i think its REI but i dont know never rented) they were climbing/why no helmets if renting cramps and boots. I am little more than a newbie climber myself, but i have the distinct impression that naive successes like this can be detrimental to one's climbing perspective. I'm sure they're planning to scramble rainier with 10m of rope in early november.

Water, the reason I posted here is to report the current conditions of the route for other people interested in trying to do an off season climb. Please Judge Not Lest Ye Be Judged.

Thanks everyone else for a good feedback.

It might be tough to swallow but try to realize most of the criticism here comes from people that don't want to see accidents in the mountains. I'm a relatively a newb myself but I do know it's critical not to become complacent in the mountains. Mt. Hood is easy to underestimate.

Also, not sure what's going on here exactly but quickdraws aren't generally used for tying in for rope team travel.

qd.jpg

Glad you posted this TR. Hopefully it will stop people from making the same mistakes made here.

Barefoot, glad to see you're stoked on the mountains! We all are. But you and your friends really need to seek instruction on how/when to climb. You climbed Hood at the absolute worst time imaginable and were lucky not to have any run ins with rockfall. The pictures you posted clearly show your team had no idea what you were doing, no helmets?!?!?! Fuck man, that's about the worst decision you could have made. I don't mean to sound like an asshole, but you really need to learn what you're doing. And roping up but not placing pro? That is MORE dangerous than not roping up at all on that terrain. If you don't know why, please ask.

Go buy AND read Mountaineering: Freedom of the Hills. This is the bible of climbing.

Again, glad you're finding the mountains, just do it right so people involved with SAR (myself and several others here) don't have to lug your body off that hill.