• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
INR doc

Hood Conditions

Nice. It's great to see the route a little. How was the slog from timberline to the photos? Was is hard and crusty, or was there some postholing? I's sure that they have had the snowcat up to the hut already, so that road may be okay.

Thanks for the shots!

The only cat track wound under the Mile lift, nothing above that. Mostly powder only, ridges were sparsely covered. Started out under starry skies and calm winds that quickly increased at sun rise. Turned around at top of Palmer 8am, 19F, 20-30mph winds gusting higher, enough posthole punishment for one day. Should be getting plenty ice accumulating over next few weeks.

Not a TR, more like a confession from 10-31, uhg.

1. I hate snowshoeing

2. I hate deep fresh snow when I can't ski

3. I hate bailing like a wimp at Silcox

4. I can't wait till spring.

it'll be wind-blasted and icy-fun slogging in just a few weeks if'n only you'll be patient!

how did the rest of the party do? when i woke up at the shiny hour of 11am, the st helens, adams, and timberline cams all showed brilliant sun.. making me wish i had planned my weekend differently. snowshoeing can be fun when you don't have to do it.

I'm not sure on their summit attempt. We got a late start also; and I was under a time crunch as it was. I think it came down to the fact that I assumed that with slow conditions, and the time; I would not summit. I hate to cut losses and bail, but small things started to stack up to help make my decision. Interested in St. Helens this Friday or Sat?

i guess on st helens--looks like another front is coming through, i'm not really interested in a fog slog, honestly, but if it seems ok out, id would be of interest. sure could go for one of these nice mini-high pressure systems over a weekend instead of wasted during the cube-workweek.