Hood Conditions

INR doc

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am new to this site, has anyone been up Mt. Hood this week? Planning on the hogsback if weather clears- unlikely. Do we need to rope up. Is passage thru pearly gates usual approach now?

thanks

Weather is very iffy this time of year, best to take a gore-tex pants and jacket, heavy parka, and bivvy. Yes, a rope is mandatory as is pickets, ice screws, 2 flukes, 70m rope, crampons, and three pairs of socks. Don't forget your beacon and sat phone as well.

I was thinking the weather would be nice, it wasn't, and the rockfall would not be a problem, it was. Mutual decision to turn back at Crater Rock definitely. Once the skies cleared I could see the enormous bergstrom at top of Hogsback, uncrossable, forcing ascent to climbers left where I had gone two years ago. That route was clearly crossing multiple bowling alleys. The snow was perfect so in regard to a training run I would go up as far as Hogsback again although rockfall from Crater Rock is an issue. With so little snow there was a dramatic change in appearance, really cool.

conditions are good, had an easy climb to the summit last Saturday (09-04-2010)

http://picasaweb.google.com/dan.martinek/MountHoodClimb?feat=directlink

Conditions are good? This is some dangerous misinformation being spread here....anyone that doesn't wear a helmet on Hood, especially now, disqualifies themselves from the conversation.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

yeah, I've been practicing my quick-draw noose tie-in as featured by the poster, barefoot, referenced above. i found some 3mm guy-line cord (clerk said it can hold 220lbs so we are golden, plus it is reflective so that is even better) it will be even lighter than the 6mm shit barefooter used. Also after hearing some advice from MajorMajor i plan on drinking a quart of egg nog before we leave the parkinglot, due to the caloric density of it-you can't beat it! And I'll take some thick apple cider to drink along the way up since it tastes good and has good electrolytes. we can forget the helmets too like barefooter since it is snowy that means everything will be safe, just like when it is completely melted out.

following that line of thought you should bring a full rack in case there are good 'ice cracks' for protection at the gates.

It looks like this weekend is a go (so far). Weather looks cold and windy. I bet this thread will get used all season now for Hood. When can we get our own topic?

On the topic of pre-climb meals..Dan once bet me I could not eat a double cheeseburger in the parking lot and keep it down till summiting. Not only did I not do the hock and hurl, I had another in Sandy on the way home.

Edited by LonelySummit