MysticNacho

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by MysticNacho:
I just finished a paper about whether or not Martin Luther would have supported the war in Afghanistan, if he didn't croak centuries before. So I thought I'd toss out the question to the merry folks of cc.com. I am sometimes impressed with the level of intelligent banter that goes on here, and was curious as to your opinion: From a CHRISTIAN standpoint (think of it as turning the other cheek vs. overturning the tables in the temple) do you think the war in Afghanistan is a just and moral one?
confused.gif" border="0

ok mystic, you want an opinion, i got one. why are you so concerned with what martin luther would have said? why don't you just see things for yourself? and what do you really mean by justice and morality? is that another way of saying you have a better grasp of what is right and wrong than other people? okay basically i have a beef with religion in general. first i don't believe in god because i don't believe in anything supernatural. second, i don't like religion because i spent my whole life before age 18 attending catholic and episcopalian schools and i got tired of the priests bad-mouthing jews and telling woman what they can do with their bodies and in general invoking this "unseen power" to support whatever their opinion happened to be. ok maybe 2000 years ago this guy was hopping around in sandals and a robe saying how things would be better if people could be nice to each other. great! let's be nice to each other! you need a fucking religion for that? try it on your own. be a grown-up. those guys flew planes into the wtc because their religion told them too; a religion that started out telling people to be nice to each other, they couldn't think for themselves.

is it a good idea to help people instead of hurting them? - yes. do we sometimes need to defend ourselves and our loved ones from hostile maniacs? - that too. i'm from ny. somebody i went to highschool died in that mess, i remember what a cool guy he was and i feel like crap about it. will the war in afghanistan actually accomplish something or will it just create more violence? - only time will tell. maybe it's a good idea or maybe it's a mistake. sometimes wars do good things like when get rid of the nazis, sometimes they don't like when you naplam little vietnamese kids. you wanna talk about whether or not this war is a good idea? fine, just spare me the "christian perspective" crap. plenty of killing has been done in the name (or excuse) of christianity, not just islam.

there, that's my cc opinion. dammit.

quote:

Originally posted by gregm:

why are you so concerned with what martin luther would have said? why don't you just see things for yourself?

Because I'm taking a class in the theology of martin luther. And I do have my own opinion on the subject, I just haven't shared it.

quote:

and what do you really mean by justice and morality? is that another way of saying you have a better grasp of what is right and wrong than other people?

I mean that there are some people out there who believe that war is the right thing to do, and others who think its morally wrong. Some people think we should be kicking their lilly asses, and some people think we should be turning the other cheek. You think I'm saying I have a "better grasp of right and wrong?" Maybe I have a different perspective than you do, and maybe I don't. So eat it. I would never think my opinion is better than yours, only different.

The only reason I bring up the "Christian perspective" is because generally Christianity preaches that we should turn the other cheek, and most people don't bring religion (Christianity anyways) into the issue. On the other hand, its not hard to find some theological background for a "stand up and fight" perspective either.

Sorry, but I'm a religion major, this kind of stuff gets me all excited. smile.gif" border="0

I thought mysticism was more the antithesis of religion but I am willing to be corrected.

After being force fed religion all through childhood I concluded that religion was judgment and condemnation cloaked in the guise of goodness and inspiration- not to mention the heaven /hell theory that could terrify any child.Without the suspension of disbelief(faith) it is no more believable than alliens or atlantis.

The bible is laced with accurate history that confuses modern believers. Religion tries to explain what man doesn't understand and give purpose and hope to those who lack it. The problem is that most orthodox religions condemn most other religions. Evil for the sake of a greater good is at the heart of it.

Early man sat... and he thought ...and as the voice in his head became louder and more questoining surpassing that of mere instinct or reaction man concluded the voice must not be that of his own....creating a way to explain the acts of men and nature.

Nacho, didn't at the same time another man conclude that the voice was actually his own thus becoming the first mystic?

back to the question-I don't know?

P.S with no college I had to come up with theorys like this on my own so dissect it as you may but be prepared to be labled as a heritic should you expose yourself as an infidel- I'll be praying for you- the irony!

This is RURP. WHERE ARE THE MODERATORS? You eliminate relevant mountaineering topics such as "Rock Cop" and others yet you allow this pointless "discussion" to continue!! (We don't care why you don't like God. The unbelievers nod their heads with you and the believers remain unconvinced.) What is next? Here is a good one: What is the favorite kind of cookie your mother used to make you when you are a child? Oatmeal? Chocolate Chip? Do you want to hear that? Or what perhaps is your favorite topping on nachos? See what you started Mr. Mystic Nacho guy! How about what is your favorite Big Wall? Now that is something everyone wants to hear about!

RURP has spoken.

Well RURP, this is the spray section, so the relevance or importance of any topic is pretty much defined as nill. You only enter if you want to, and then the spraymeistering and fun begins. And chocolate chip cookies were DEFINITELY the best my mom used to make when I was a kid. I have spoken.

RURP,

You are yawning, yet you are still posting to this thread? Hmm...that don't make no sense. Don't like, don't read it. Start your own thread about big wall climbing. Oh, whoops, you already did that, didn't seem to get much of a response. Maybe it caused someone else to [sleep] . I have spoken.

rurp has begun the labling and the judgement and the condemnation-just as I predicted. thanx rurp. who will begin the inquisition?

P.S. don't waste your time concluding someone doesn't "like" God by what they write on spray or I will be forced to hide my light under a bushel to avoid your slanderous accusations. This conversation is based on intelligence not emotion-but I'm sure you'll go to heaven for condemning it. Me saying whatever I want and not being put to death is the difference between the U.S. and Afghanistan. Weather they're bombing an abotion clinic or the wtc they did it to score points on the get-me-into-heaven board. I'm not trying to change anyones mind . Are you?

quote:

Originally posted by RStewbone:
rurp has begun the labling and the judgement and the condemnation-just as I predicted. thanx rurp. who will begin the inquisition?

I like this statement a lot. Especially when taken in conjunction with your next statement.

quote:

...avoid your slanderous accusations. This conversation is based on intelligence not emotion-but I'm sure you'll go to heaven for condemning it. Me saying whatever I want and not being put to death is the difference between the U.S. and Afghanistan. Weather they're bombing an abotion clinic or the wtc they did it to score points on the get-me-into-heaven board. I'm not trying to change anyones mind . Are you?

::cough:: ::cough:: JUDGEMENTAL

This is RURP: Stewbone! What the heck are you talking about? Such vehemence! It is sounding scary now. I am out of here. You guys can inconclusively discuss your religion amongst yourself [hell no] now. Have a good time. I'll go look at the Big Wall topics. "Thanks", Mastic Natcho. rolleyes.gif" border="0

RURP has spoken.

All I ask is that on judgement day you spare me. I found a 1-800 number that claims to be able to save me....

Please forgive me father for all my transgressions....

O.K. I"m sorry

I'll go back to the free thinking hole I came out of.

Don't be offended (especially if you're a zealot who wants to kill me for the way I blaspheme)

Boy, a simple guy like me doesn't stand a chance in this room. In defense of my Bro Robb, I grew up with NO religion and of course had to develop my own opinions(that's a laugh, I will wonder till the day I die, just like most of you). It's easy to be turned off by religious action of ANY type right now, with the crazy shit(an abnormally large amount of crazy shit, that is) going on in the world.

Especially with that cool special on Discovery Channel about the dinosaurs and how we evolved and shit. See how simple I am? See how this is going nowhere? Let's just hope them bastards in charge can figure it out and be lucky that we can have a peaceful holiday.

I just finished a paper about whether or not Martin Luther would have supported the war in Afghanistan, if he didn't croak centuries before. So I thought I'd toss out the question to the merry folks of cc.com. I am sometimes impressed with the level of intelligent banter that goes on here, and was curious as to your opinion: From a CHRISTIAN standpoint (think of it as turning the other cheek vs. overturning the tables in the temple) do you think the war in Afghanistan is a just and moral one? confused.gif" border="0