Joe Simpson and bad luck or is it stupidity

Cpt.Caveman

Friend of mine was talking about this Joe Simpson dude. I have read a book of his and it was good. Also read some other short stories and they were good as well.

It seems as if this dude gets nearly whacked all the time. Is it bad luck or stupidity? Like for instance when he went ice climbing and told the local Scots he did not need leashes then shortly after suffering a long groundfall because he could not hold his axes any longer. Story was related by friend on this one I have not read.

If you had this dudes mishaps would you continue climbing?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no way any one person could experience

that much bad luck. I've read several of his books

and found them quite entertaining; perhaps he

should just stick to writing. A few times, you

might be able to blame "bad luck", the rest is

probably bad luck he made those decisions. With

a reputation like that, how the hell does he find

people willing to tie into a rope with him? I'd go

to the pub with the guy and that's about it!

[big Drink][big Drink][big Drink]

Wick is not lucky, he is a survivor number one. Secondly he has made it a life long study to search out "the why did this happen to my friend", so it does not repeat itself with me or others.

Simpson, is not dangerous to others, but to himself. It seems that his friends are always OK but taking care of him and his battered, bent body.

How about this? Simp and Wick are down on their luck. Their respective baggage is not helping to enlist partners or sponsorship for their climbing aspirations. Enter shadowy government figures who enlist the unlikely pair to co-lead a crack multinational team into the mountains of Pakistan in search of fugitive number one. The wacky black comedy lurches through malfunctioning attack helicopters, booby trapped cases of beer, and nuclear-weapons-toting camels with bowel disfunction in a non-stop hilarious ride toward total nuclear annihilation!

[ 12-20-2001: Message edited by: chucK ]