• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
sash

Missing climber in/around Storm King

If you were in the area of Storm King (North Cascades, WA) in the last 4 days, Search and Rescue would love to get more information from you. Please contact Kelly Bush at the Marblemount Ranger Station: 360-854-7249.

=============

He went for Storm King this weekend. His tent was found at 2 mile camp on Park Creek on Sunday night by two rangers, who then went back and checked on Monday morning and it was still there. His permit was through Sunday. His camera and binoculars were still in the tent, and his sleeping bag was in the stuff sack. I forgot to ask about his backpack. I expect it is missing, since it wasn't mentioned.

He checked in to the Stehekin ranger station at 11:11 AM on Friday and was expected home on Sunday. He left quickly after that (probably to catch the bus to High Bridge). It takes about 4 hours to hike from High Bridge to 2 mile camp. That would put him there around 4:00 or 5:00 PM (due to the bus ride...most likely 5:00 PM). Most likely he did not go for the summit on the same day he hiked in to camp.

He would have climbed Storm King on Saturday and came out on Sunday.

Regarding a search underway on Storm King in NCNP I am interested to know if anyone who climbed Storm King recently - this or last summer, say - could report whether a summit register was seen?

Thanks,

Kelly Bush

NCNP

Really hope to be wrong and have to eat my words, but that dosn't sound good. Hope that he is able to make it out OK and many thanks to SAR.

I was one of a party of two on Storm King in late July, and posted the report mentioned above. Thanks to several readers who let me know of Kelly's request for info (yes, the old register in a small glass bottle was still there on July 28). I spoke with someone at the Marblemount RS yesterday.

There's some crappy looseness up there. Let's hope he is ok.

Condolences to John's friends and family. Storm King, although spectacularly situated, is nonetheless one of the loosest piles of choss of the top 100s. Such an accident could have happened to any experienced climber.

"for every one us,

living in this world

means waiting for our end.

let he who can

achieve glory before death.

when a warrior is gone

that will be his best

and only bulwark."

beowulf