[TR] 4 climbs in the Canadian Rockies - Yukness, Hungabee, Huber, Temple 8/31/2010

Trip: 4 climbs in the Canadian Rockies - Yukness, Hungabee, Huber, Temple

Date: 8/24-28/2010

Trip Report:

Scott Bingen, Steve Trent, and I just got back from a climbing road trip to the Canadian Rockies. We climbed 3 summits in Yoho NP (BC) and also climbed Mt. Temple in Banff NP (Alberta) before heading home. It was a fun trip, full of massive mountains, spectacular scenery, and ubiquitous Rockies choss.

Day 1 - Aug 24 - Yukness Mtn

The first day we took the bus to Lake O'Hara (avoids walking 11km along road), hiked a couple of hours to the basin below Opabin Pass where we established camp, and then scrambled up Yukness Mountain for some stellar views of the park. A friend named Demetri (from Canmore) joined us.

IMG_1534.jpgIMG_14961.jpg

Day 2 - Aug 25 - Hungabee Mtn + Abbot Hut

The second day the four of us (Scott, Steve, Demetri, and I) climbed the West Ridge of Hungabee Mountain, which is the highest summit in Yoho National Park and lies on the continental divide between BC and Alberta. This climb represents the epitome of Rockies climbing: massive, chossy, tricky route-finding, and spectacular summit views.

IMG_20541.jpgIMG_1876.jpgIMG_2033.jpgIMG_2043.jpg

We had reservations at Abbot Pass Hut, so despite the fact we got down to camp as the sun was setting, we packed up to hike 3.5 hours to Abbot Pass. Demetri had to work the next day, so he hiked out. The grueling ascent in the dark was all worth it when we were greeted with a fire burning in the wood stove and water already boiling on the stove.

IMG_1665.jpgIMG_1658.jpg

Day 3 - Aug 26 - Mt. Huber

The third day we woke up to a brilliant morning at the cozy Abbot Pass Hut. After the long day the day before, it was nice to just relax in such a beautiful spot. But it wasn't long before I began to get antsy to climb some of the mountains towering around us, so I left to go climb Mt. Huber (via the Huber Ledges route, since I preferred to have a partner if I went up the more technical route from Abbot Pass), while Scott and Steve opted to hang out at the hut. I reconnected with Scott and Steve evening at the Lake O'Hara parking lot, and we drove to Canmore to stay with some friends.

IMG_1842.jpgIMG_2076.jpg

Day 4 - Aug 28 - Mt. Temple

Finally, before heading back to Seattle, we took advantage of a 1-day weather window to climb the nearby Mt. Temple in Banff National Park. Interesting note: Mt. Temple had been the location of my first hike and camping trip when I was 3 months old (see photo below).

IMG_1941-2pano.jpgIMG_1848.jpgIMG_20681.jpgIMG_19851.jpg7984_053_copy.jpg

As usual, I've posted a full trip report on my website:

Canadian Rockies Part I (3 climbs in Yoho NP): http://www.stephabegg.com/home/tripreports/britishcolumbia/yoho

Canadian Rockies Part II (Mt. Temple): http://www.stephabegg.com/home/tripreports/britishcolumbia/temple

Edited by Steph_Abegg

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Steph, thanks for taking all the great pictures and indulging Trent and I on our quest to climb the most unsavory of the 54 11,000ers in the Canadian Rockies. You certainly our a superb choss downclimber. I found it interesting that we were only the second team to climb Hungabee this season(according to the summit registry). A true testament to its repulsive nature considering it is the highest peak in the Lake O'Hara area. Yes!

Hey Steph, thanks for taking all the great pictures and indulging Trent and I on our quest to climb the most unsavory of the 54 11,000ers in the Canadian Rockies. You certainly our a superb choss downclimber. I found it interesting that we were only the second team to climb Hungabee this season(according to the summit registry). A true testament to its repulsive nature considering it is the highest peak in the Lake O'Hara area. Yes!

You're welcome, I had a fun time and hopefully will make the CND Rockies an annual adventure. Lots to be climbed!

As a matter of personal preference, I prefer downclimbing to rappelling any day. Part of the reason is that downclimbing is faster, but my main reason is that I'd rather deal with the looseness in my immediate vicinity rather than worry about all the looseness around 30m of rope above me. But, I suppose there is a valid argument that being on a rope is better than being unroped....

• 7 months later...