Location of Playground Point at Icicle Creek

Blue_ice

Playground_point_II.jpgplayground_point.jpg

It seems that there is some confusion about how to get to the Playground Point area off Icicle Creek Road in Leavenworth. I wasn't sure where to find it this weekend and the three separate sets of climbers I asked said that they had either gotten lost trying to find it, had difficult finding it, or wanted me to leave them alone. If you are in the latter group, ignore this post. For everyone else, the two pictures (which I hope are) attached to this post shows the correct trail. The trail is at mile 5.1-5.3 just before the yellow "Fire Danger" bulletin board on the side of the road opposite the creek. A few trails start here, so look for the sandy one that immediately goes up the road enbankment and towards the rocks (in the picture)(east). See picture. Not the one that quickly disappears into the trees and heads toward the 8 mile campground. Happy climbing.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

heh. I'll admit to missing Playground Point my first time trying to find it. We went up on the right side of the drainage instead of the left, finally realized our mistake, and bushwhacked over. Sadly, we were right above PP, but thought it was higher and climbed probably 1000' up the side of the hill before realizing our mistake and turning back. Finally landed right on the top of PP (again), and it started raining.

Its amazing what a little practice reading semi-useless approach beta will gain you, I haven't failed to find a crag since. =)