Mt. Buckner

steelfrog

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the sw side of buckner is a easy class 3. It would be a long day from cascade pass TH but doable. You would need to know navigation skills as you would need to traverse below the sahale glacier, cross over a ridge to get to the horseshoe basin, traverse under the ripsaw ridge and finally up buckner. some snow, some scree some meadow stomping. after the sahale arm, there would be no real trail to follow.

Yes easy summit block for the experienced NC climbers from CC.com. ;-) Not so much for someone not from WA looking for a "hike" with a fun scramble

It is the getting there that can get you into a heap of trouble. You will need ice axe and crampons and KNOW how to use them. Route finding will slow you down A LOT.

Here are some reports from the peak.

This is a climb of the NF with the descent of the SW face.

http://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=15135&highlight=buckner

SWF

http://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7976933&highlight=buckner

another SWF

http://www.summitpost.org/trip-report/637576/Time-To-Buck-Up-For-Buckner-Mountain.html

IMO The only "EASY" peak in that area is Sahale.

this guy was asking how to get to buckner via a scramble. I answered his question without getting my panties in a wad. If you have some insight into this guys abilities or lack thereof, why not bring it up with him/her personally.

the sw face of buckner is a easy route. It may take a two day trip but is involves walking and think most people have mastered it.

crampons and axe are needed for sahale. does that make sahale a hard peak?

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?????? Who's panties are in a wad? Looks like yours are for some reason. ??

I am going by his other posts and questions not just this one.

No wad here.

I am just trying to help them have a good fun experience according to what he has been asking.

yes Buckner is a "walk" for YOU and many climbers here. It may not be for him/them.

I gave him some links to decide on his own.

Excuse me for posting and trying to help someone out.

Have a wonderful weekend!

sorry. I did not know his history or background. I took the ALL CAPS is a sign of getting all wound up.

If this guy can't handle going up buckner walk up route, then there is not much for him to do other than mt si or sauk mt. Maybe steelfrog should invest time in an instructional course instead?

I asked the question b/c looking at the SW ridge (if I remember right--might be confused b/t Buckner and Sahale) it looked like a fun scramble, that's all. But the approach may be more than I am looking for in a dayhike. Especially since the day before we are apparently now going to go up to Camp Muir on Rainier, which I don't know what that's going to cost in terms of reserves, etc. Looks like about 5k gain.