American Alpine Institute Photo Contest

Jason_Martin

The American Alpine Institute is currently looking for a photo to be featured on the cover of our upcoming 2011 catalog. We would like a photo that signifies what the American Alpine Institute is all about; namely working, teaching, and playing in the beautiful mountain ranges around the world. This is a chance for you to show off your artistic side and submit a few photos to be considered for our catalog cover. We are really leaving it up to you to decide what you would like to see on the cover! Runners up will be used on the inside.

What’s in it for you? Well, besides the opportunity for the fame and glory that comes with photo credit in a very public and widely distributed catalouge, the winner will receive a $200 credit on any of our programs or on gear at the Equipment Shop at AAI. The top six shots for the inside will receive $25 credit each. Please submit your photos no later than September 10th.

Email your photos with your name and where the shot was taken to: andrew@aai.cc

Please submit photos that are no larger than 4mb, however if your photo is selected, we will need a full size copy that can be printed at 300 dpi. Essentially, the photo would need to be more than 8.2 Mega pixels (3350x2382) and could be printed at 300 dpi at a size of 8.5" x 11". Smaller sizes are OK for inside the catalog.

We look forward to seeing your mountain photography soon. Best of luck!

Jason

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Definitely sad. As a photographer that makes a living off of shooting climbing its hard to see my market undercut and devalued.

Oh well its worth it for the fame and glory! I just have a hard time putting that on a plate and eating it. It just doesn't fill me up that same as food.

Yep, being a photographer is a hard job. I know for a fact that newspapers only pay $35 for a photo...and many other resources don't give anywhere near $200 for a photo including many of the magazines for their smaller photos spots. And most gear catalogs don't pay anywhere near $200 for photos... Sure, if you're selling to Patagonia, maybe you'll do better...but it is climbing photography and there aren't that many places to sell it, period.

If you don't want $200 worth of climbing gear then don't submit. We're not running a magazine or a newspaper and we're not soliciting from professional photographers because we don't have the resources that such companies have. Instead, we're offering $200 worth of gear or a trip credit for anybody who wants to send us their photos. This is what we can give...it's up to you to submit if you want it.

Jason

Edited by Jason_Martin

We did buy stock photos for significantly less than we're offering for this catalog and catalogs in the past. We're a small business and all that we have to give away is trip credit or gear...it's what we have. So like I said, if someone would like to get that, then they should submit. If they feel that they have a better chance submitting to Patagonia, then yes, they should definitely submit there.

Jason

Edited by Jason_Martin

There is no more discontented group of folks then the "professional photographer" in the digital age.

Well, I only know one guy trying to break into the professional climbing photography scene, and he's one of the most positive people I've met. Talented too.

As for the rest of the comments, take a chill pill. If Jason is only willing to pay $200 for an image, then he'll probably get an image worth only $200. That shouldn't diminish the value of all your $1000 images.