[TR] SEWS - Hitchhiker 8/24/2010

jpark42

Trip: SEWS - Hitchhiker

Date: 8/24/2010

Trip Report:

A friend and I did Hitchhiker on Tues. It was awesome but unfortunely we both forgot digital camera's. Here is an awesome topo done by a buddy and the route play by play:

Pitch 1: A shallow finger crack in a corner (10+) brings you to a small overhang (9ish) and bolt anchors. Their are four bolts that you can use to protect the finger crack

Pitch 2: A fun pitch of 5.10 face climbing (three bolts) leads to a small over lap and easier climbing (5.8 fun) to a semi-hanging belay.

Pitch 3: Starts off hot and heavy with some 5.10 layback moves. The climbing gets easier as you go up. Remember to take a sharp right when you hit the piton.

Pitch 4: Fairly easy but hard to protect climbing leads right then left then right. Rope drag can be a bastard on this pitch so take care.

Pitch 5: A bolt protected 5.11a move right off the deck traverses right and then back left. Topo shows to belay at ledge with a tree and bolt but we linked these two pitches. This causes a little drag but no worse then the proceeding pitch. Go left of the bolted ledge/tree to awkward 5.10 climbing and a two bolt belay.

Pitch 6: The first of the money pitches. Bolt protected face climbing (5.10 fun) leads to a small finger crack. A couple of hard finger crack moves gains a groove and some funky groove moves, “yes I said it.” This is solid 11b but not to be missed climbing. Just remember when pulling into the groove from the finger crack to reach out right to a hidden jug crimp. Very key!!!! Route finishes on comfy ledge with bolts

Pitch 7: Start up and left on easy climbing (5.8) to three bolts on the face above. A couple of 10 face moves gains access to a 10+ corner and some thuggish lie backing moves. This ends at a bolt protected left trending finger crack. These moves are the high light of the route and ends by reach way back and grabbing a huge jug while letting your feet go fancy free. This goes at 11c and is not to be missed climbing. Finish up in shallow cracks to a comfy belay and bolted anchor.This pitch has a lot of drag. One way to fix this is by moving the belay past the 5.8 section to a tree right below the bolted face.

Pitch 8: Look around the corner to the right. See that bolt right in front of your face that’s the way so don’t miss it. Bolted face climbing leads to some lie back moves and 10a hand crack. This pitch finishes up on easy 5.7ow. Make sure to go right of the bolt on the arête and not kick down rocks on to your belayer.

snews.JPG

Gear Notes:

Take doubles of .4 through #2. Take one #3 and #4. Small selection of small to mid-sized nuts. 60m rope. Drag is bad but negotionable. Bring double ropes to prevent drag.

Approach Notes:

We approached from the hairpin turn side. Though this approach quicker, about 30mins more then the Blue Lake approach. The descent is a bastard. If I did it again I'd approach from Blue and hike around. That makes the descent a lot easier.

Edited by jpark42

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The route is completely safe. It's a little over bolted if you ask me but if it's there you might as well use it.

We left our packs at the base of the climb so hiking down the blue lake trail head wasn't an option. I do agree that it's pretty amazing what people are willing to pick up off the side of the road these days. Next time I hitch hike, I'm going to experiment and see how far I can take it. Maybe poop my pants and see who is willing to pick me up.